Shadowing a Dr.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound redundent but when should a pre-med be shadowing a dr.? I know usually in your third year but is it to early to start now in the summer(going to be a sophmore in the fall) while taking courses. I am living at home and going to a college not far from home and will be going to either UNF or Florida Gulf Coast University b/c of their small sizes(UNF-15,000 FGCU-7,000) next fall which are far from home. Should the dr. I shadow wright recommendations before I go off to a university or before I apply to med school? Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDr. said:
I don't want to sound redundent but when should a pre-med be shadowing a dr.? I know usually in your third year but is it to early to start now in the summer(going to be a sophmore in the fall) while taking courses. I am living at home and going to a college not far from home and will be going to either UNF or Florida Gulf Coast University b/c of their small sizes(UNF-15,000 FGCU-7,000) next fall which are far from home. Should the dr. I shadow wright recommendations before I go off to a university or before I apply to med school? Any advice would be great.

If you an shadow a doctor now, DO IT. DOs can be difficult, at least in my state, to get hold of to ask them about shadowing. Most of the ones I asked refused my request. So if you can find one now it would be great.

He/She will need to mail the letter directly to the schools that you are applying when you decide to apply. If you can get the LOR to the school in the months of June or July of your application year, you are doing very well indeed. It takes some physicians a long time to get around to writing a letter. Good luck to you .

Aaron

Many of the physicians who teach at DO schools are willing to let students shadow them.

I'm not sure where everyone is from, but here in detroit I have met both MD/DO and I have had so many say yes to me shadowing them. I actually work in a hospital but these doc's I'm speaking of are not who I work with. I think if you hook up with some one and show them that you're interested in what they do, then they will be more than happy to assist you.