Shadowing a Psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sophie

Lead Foot
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I'm planning to shadow doctors from several specialties to hopefully get a better idea of what specialty(ies) I'm interested in. I'm pretty sure I can set up some shadowing with a psychiatrist who works at the hospital my school is affiliated with, but I would like to learn more about private practice psychiatry as well. I'm assuming that shadowing a private practice psychiatrist is out of the question, since I couldn't imagine their patients would be okay with that. How can I find out more about what being a private practice psychiatrist is like?

Members don't see this ad.

Check with the dean's office. Sometimes, you'll have alumni from your school who will grant you more access than they would otherwise. It's also a good idea to see if some of your faculty have combined academic/private practices. If this is the case, then you can ask them if they'll allow you to shadow them with their private patients.

You might be surprised. Some patients like having an "audience" and some consider it a privilege to be able to shape the training experience of a future psychiatrist.

Thanks for the reply. :) I'll check with my dean's office and see what they say.