Shadowing a vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I can tell on the forum, a lot of folks who want to shadow a vet end up making a lot of calls with little success. I have a couple of suggestions...

First, ask your own vet if he/she knows of any vets or will recommend you to any vets that encourage shadowing. My vet told me of an area veterinarian who maintains a schedule of students to shadow, and a vet in my practice set me up with a LA vet to shadow for last summer.

Also, I started as a part-time receptionist at my practice. I had no actual veterinary hospital experience at all. As people in the hospital got to know me and respect my work, when a part-time position as an Assistant came open and I asked to do it, they were quite willing. I started as PT receptionist in March 2007 and was a FT Assistant by August 2007.

Anyway, hope that helps...