Shadowing advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bio_student95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice because I was supposed to shadow all summer but due to COVID-19 everything was canceled. I recently switched over to optometry (was planning on applying to dental schools, but plans changed due to personal reasons), so I currently have 0 shadowing hours in this field. I am trying to apply for the 2021 cycle, but I don't know if I will be able to shadow any time soon. I've reached out to a few ODs but they are not allowing anyone to shadow at the moment to prevent further spread. I am in Texas, and the numbers are just getting higher and higher. I have a feeling that I may not be able to gain any shadowing experience this year.. I honestly don't know what to do. I'll shadow as much as I can once the virus calms, but optometry schools would want you to spread out the shadowing hours, and not have it all done at last minute, right? Should I reach out to schools and let them know my situation when I submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

i joined in on a webinar hosted by NECO earlier this week about how to be a strong candidate and they said they understand that with the situation going on right now, they understand its hard to get shadowing hours. There are alternative things you can do like asking different OD's if they are willing to do a video call with you for like an hour or so and just chat. Theres also an additional section on this years application for how COVID has impacted you (or something along those lines) where I'm sure you can explain your situation!! its out of your control, i wouldn't stress too much

Reactions: 1 user
i joined in on a webinar hosted by NECO earlier this week about how to be a strong candidate and they said they understand that with the situation going on right now, they understand its hard to get shadowing hours. There are alternative things you can do like asking different OD's if they are willing to do a video call with you for like an hour or so and just chat. Theres also an additional section on this years application for how COVID has impacted you (or something along those lines) where I'm sure you can explain your situation!! its out of your control, i wouldn't stress too much
Thank you! I didn't even think of video chatting with an OD. I'll see if I can get a hold of one. And, I'm applying for the 2021 cycle, and I'm afraid that they may not put the COVID question on next year's application. And can anyone attend webinars? Do you know the next upcoming one? I would love to attend for more info.

Thank you! I didn't even think of video chatting with an OD. I'll see if I can get a hold of one. And, I'm applying for the 2021 cycle, and I'm afraid that they may not put the COVID question on next year's application. And can anyone attend webinars? Do you know the next upcoming one? I would love to attend for more info.
i believe so! i think if you go to NECO's website, theres somewhere where you can sign up to get more information. i also get emails from IUSO about webinars they are having.

I also would recommend reaching out to the admissions directors individually of programs you are interested in and chatting directly with them. I set up an appointment with someone from Salus and Neco and they reviewed my transcript to make sure i had pre-requisites, discussed my grades and OAT score, and answered any questions i had for the school or program and it was super helpful.

I'm also about to apply for school this upcoming cycle so i'm prob not the most knowledgable on the application process but just sharing things that i have done so far. good luck!

Reactions: 1 user