Shadowing and Volunteering on application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgroll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2014 cycle would be my first time applying to American dental schools so bear with me!

I was looking over the application and I was wondering if there is a section designated for volunteering/shadowing/working experiences (related/not related to dental work) other than maybe personal statement.

Also another thing,

I have just started shadowing at a dental office (just as in I've only shadowed 10 hours in total from last two weeks) and since I am planning to finish my application by early July, I am thinking of asking for LOR around July as well with ~50hrs of shadowing (since not all schools required LOR by a dentist).

I know that this isn't Ideal, but I don't want to ask the dentist who I used to volunteer for few years ago (volunteered/shadowed for about a year and for little over 100 hrs) because I am no longer his client and the experience at that dental office was mediocre at best compared to the dentist I'm shadowing right now (7-8 patients with varying treatments every day (extraction, filling, etc); very helpful dentist who loves teaching you new stuff; actually have written LOR for many students before; hands-on experience on all the patients).

Should I ask the dentist I am shadowing now or the dentist I used to volunteer for before?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a spot for volunteer, work, shadowing, etc. If you go to the adea.org website you will be able to find the whole breakdown of the AADSAS ap. I think you will get a better letter from the dentist you are shadowing now, go with him.