Shadowing, Clinical Experience, Volunteering as a Nontrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sherlock555

Reaction score
Wondering how to find opportunities to shadow physicians and gain clinical experience in the evenings or on the weekends.

I work M-F 8-5. Also, can shadowing count as clinical experience also? I would love to knock out two birds with one stone. I found some part time scribe positions, but they are all while I’m at my day job.
Additionally, can volunteer work count as clinical experience? Any advice on how to find volunteer experience that’s clinical enough?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also work M-F, 8-5. I started volunteering at a hospital, and would do my shifts on Saturdays or Sundays. Especially in the ED, they had shifts available literally 24/7, so that might be a good place to look (as opposed to a clinic or office type setting). I also volunteer at a hospice, and that is basically make your own schedule. I'm assigned patients, and then I can visit them whenever it fits in my schedule. These are both clinical and volunteering experience. I did start both of these activities prior to COVID, so I'm not sure if these types of places are accepting new volunteers at this time. My hospital volunteering is actually still on hold, but the hospice let's us keep visiting.

For shadowing, I just had to bite the bullet and use a day of PTO here and there. Shadowing opportunities are hard enough to find, so I made myself available to the physician on whatever day or time they were willing to let me come.

I hope this helps! I know it can be overwhelming and to figure out how to fit all of this in while also working!

Look for volunteer experience in rural hospitals, free clinics, and nursing homes/hospice. They typically have greater needs than large academic hospitals and allow volunteers to do and see more. For example, at a world renowned hospital in Boston I could help direct patients to different clinics vs be involved in transporting patients, equipment, and deliver medications and interact with medical staff in a small community hospital.

Volunteering can be clinical. Shadowing needs to be separate but is absolutely essential. I agree you’ll need to take days off work to get shadowing in,particularly for primary care hours.

As another has written, the emergency department is perfect for 9-5'ers. If you are a good volunteer who isn't afraid to do anything they let you do, you will find tremendous flexibility with what shifts you can pick up. For me, it was 24/7, 365 with zero notice. Get on the good side of the nurses, especially the charge-nurses, and you're in.