Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing/Clinical experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NCF145, Nov 14, 2005.

1. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know if this or something similar has happened to anyone else, if not, then the following will sound pretty ludicrous.

When I was shadowing a neurosurgeon he let me make the incision in the scalp and drill the holes in the skull (and it was a live human patient and not a cadaver). I was wondering if I should put this down on my application or mention it in any interviews. I am worried that if I mention it I will come off kind of cocky, not to mention illegal on the doctor's part. I don't know what to do because this is about as much "clinical experience" as you can get; but on the other hand, I don't want the adcoms to think that I think I am as good as a doctor b/c of the surgery and therefore they should let me in. I am just wondering what you would do.

Thanks for the advice.

NCF

PS even if you think the above is a complete and total lie, just humor me and answer it like it really did happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i wouldn't bring it up. thats a serious liability that the neurosurgeon took on letting you do that but i dont think the adcomms will necessarily be impressed by it.
    -mota

3. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely don't bring it up. They might react the wrong way.

4. Uncle_Tbag

Uncle_Tbag Of the DrGeddyLee Tbags
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    IMO, it's more clinical exposure than clinical experience, but still really cool!

When I think of someone that has real experience, I think of someone who's worked in a medical profession for a while. Not to diminish you're experience, as I said it sounds like an amazing experience.

5. potato51

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't mention details - just say you were actively assisting a brain surgery, and when asked about it, downplay your role a little while emphasizing your clinical exposure.