Shadowing/Clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this or something similar has happened to anyone else, if not, then the following will sound pretty ludicrous.

When I was shadowing a neurosurgeon he let me make the incision in the scalp and drill the holes in the skull (and it was a live human patient and not a cadaver). I was wondering if I should put this down on my application or mention it in any interviews. I am worried that if I mention it I will come off kind of cocky, not to mention illegal on the doctor's part. I don't know what to do because this is about as much "clinical experience" as you can get; but on the other hand, I don't want the adcoms to think that I think I am as good as a doctor b/c of the surgery and therefore they should let me in. I am just wondering what you would do.

Thanks for the advice.

NCF

PS even if you think the above is a complete and total lie, just humor me and answer it like it really did happen.

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't bring it up. thats a serious liability that the neurosurgeon took on letting you do that but i dont think the adcomms will necessarily be impressed by it.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, it's more clinical exposure than clinical experience, but still really cool!

When I think of someone that has real experience, I think of someone who's worked in a medical profession for a while. Not to diminish you're experience, as I said it sounds like an amazing experience.

Don't mention details - just say you were actively assisting a brain surgery, and when asked about it, downplay your role a little while emphasizing your clinical exposure.