Shadowing DO and applying MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poetbro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for doctors to shadow in my area. I found emails for a couple of DOs and was going to ask if I could shadow but I'm wondering, is it a bad idea to shadow DO if I plan to apply MD? I figured it wouldn't matter because a doctor is a doctor. But it looks like if you're applying DO, you're pretty much are required to shadow a DO. Is it like that with MD as well?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t matter. I had a DO LOR that i submitted as part of my committee letter through AMCAS and it turns out it was one of my strongest letters (was told that at an MD interview). It won’t hurt you - shadow whoever you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking for doctors to shadow in my area. I found emails for a couple of DOs and was going to ask if I could shadow but I'm wondering, is it a bad idea to shadow DO if I plan to apply MD? I figured it wouldn't matter because a doctor is a doctor. But it looks like if you're applying DO, you're pretty much are required to shadow a DO. Is it like that with MD as well?
Won't matter. I go to an MD school, and many attendings are DO. It's all the same in the hospital.

My 2 cents - Its better to shadow a DO than an MD... Shadowing a DO doctor can help meet the DO requirement which some DO schools have while no MD school will discriminate against this. On the contrary, DO schools will discriminate against MD shadowing as some schools strictly say they require a letter of recommendation from a DO doctor while the majority "strongly" recommend that a letter of recommendation/shadowing be from an osteopathic physician.

Reactions: 1 users
Not all DO schools require a DO LOR. Not having a letter won't hurt you, but having one will help.

For MD, they won't care one way or the other.