Shadowing, DO or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmijo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you apply to a DO program is a letter from a DO required or prefered? I'm asking because I plan on shadowing a doctor starting in Jan., but should it be an MD or a DO? Does it matter? Do MD schools require a letter from a doctor? MD or DO? When do I ask for the letter of rec, I'm still a freshmen. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

when you apply to a DO prog, they usually prefer a rec from a DO, however some schools require a rec from a DO...it depends on what school you want to go. Since your a freshman, you could probably shadow both MD and DO and see which one you like better..but get more aquainted with the DO if you really want him/her to write u a good rec. Hope this help u. Good luck.

premedmijo,
Hi.....just some quick info for you about being a DO. From what I have found, you definitely should shadow a DO if you are applying to an osteo school. For Osteo schools, they do care because most of them stress SO MUCH how they differ are from MD's. They really want you to experience things that MD's don't do such as OMM. For MD schools, however, I don't really think that it matters if you shadowed a DO or an MD. That's just my oppinion though.

[This message has been edited by jimmybee (edited 10-24-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, i agree with jimmybee too..if you are limited on time and apply for both programs, then you should shadow a DO since MD programs dont really care whether you shadow an MD or DO.

My secondary to NOVA "requires" a DO recommendation....and I shadowed an MD. Now I'm trying to play catch-up! Go for the DO if you want to go that route!