Shadowing Experience, how to dress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsyance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this whole Physical Therapy thing, and have set up four hours of shadowing next week. I'm not sure if this is inpatient or outpatient (but I do know it's a somewhat generalist setting). I was wondering what typical dress is for such a thing?

Thanks,
neuro

Members don't see this ad.

I say just look presentable. Nothing too over the top. I always just wore a polo or a button up shirt and a nicer pair of jeans.

I'd at least wear some sort of slacks/chinos/pants and a collared shirt. Switch that out to an appropriate blouse for the women. I wouldn't recommend jeans and most places in an inpatient general, and inpatient rehab hospitals will advise against. Some places will let you wear scubs possibly if you're a regular volunteering in and around the hospital, but I wouldn't assume this off the bat.

If you're unsure simply ask the program coordinator whom set you up. Hospitals love to have policies on everything, so I'm sure they'll address this issue anyway.

Also, I'd wear stuff you wouldn't mind washing or even potentially ruining on a rare chance. Inpatient settings can have some unpredictable presentation of bodily projections here and there. :scared: Hahah, jk you'll live... I was lucky enough to avoid such cases during my experiences though. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say khakis/dress slacks with a polo shirt or oxford type shirt. This is for outpatient and inpatient settings. Also wear some type of dress shoes or casual dress shoe! Like others said, nothing too crazy

i agree with the previos posters. the places i shadowed at asked me to just wear khakis/slacks, no shorts or jeans, and a collared shirt. i wouldn't go far as to wear a long-sleeved button down though.

just as long as you don't look like a college student.

just as long as you don't look like a college student.

Hahah..that was the best part of most of my shadow hours -- I could just look like a college student! I was lucky enough that my outpatient settings were casual enough that I could just wear black yoga pants and a "Cal Sports Medicine" but for my inpatient it was khakis and a nicer top, though tennis shoes (as long as they were in decent shape -- no mud runners!) were acceptable.

Hahah..that was the best part of most of my shadow hours -- I could just look like a college student! I was lucky enough that my outpatient settings were casual enough that I could just wear black yoga pants and a "Cal Sports Medicine" but for my inpatient it was khakis and a nicer top, though tennis shoes (as long as they were in decent shape -- no mud runners!) were acceptable.

I did this too- Black yoga pants and a polo, I did scrub pants and a polo, khakis and a........ polo!

Tennis shoes all around :)

When I set up my observations, I asked what I needed to wear. That is the simplest way to solve the problem of what to wear.

In outpatient, I was told to wear khakis and a polo shirt. In acute care and inpatient rehab, I wore scrubs.