Shadowing Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlfusco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All-

I have a meeting tomorrow with a large local practice to discuss the possibility of shadowing a dentist there. I do not know any of the dentists there, and was given the reference by a family friend who knows someone involved in the practices administration. I'm a little nervous about it, because I'm not sure what they expect me to know? This is my first shadowing opportunity and I was told we would talk about my goals and expectations, and then go over some HIPAA information. I'm doing this purely to see if dentistry is really the field I'd like to get into, and I hope that is reason enough in their minds. Obviously I'd like it to be a mutually beneficial experience, because I learn quickly and am friendly and helpful, but I don't really know how shadowing works.

Does anyone have any comforting stories or advice for me? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

They probably just want to get to know you before they start letting you shadow. You don't have to have any prior dental experiences, hence the reason you are shadowing. Just be personable and friendly and enjoy your time there.

In a typical shadowing experience, you're just going to go from room to room and watch some procedures, so have some questions prepared, or come up with some on the spot. Maybe get to know the dentists you're shadowing since you will probably need their LOR. You'll probably get to learn a bit about how a practice is run and see some stuff that hygienists, dental assistants and receptionists do, too. Also, make sure to smile :D

That's all I can think of for now but maybe others will have more to add from their shadowing experiences.

Well I must have come across alright, because I'm starting next Tuesday. Sounds like I'll observe endo procedures on tuesdays and general dentistry on thursdays. Time to study up and compile some questions/knowledge so I'm prepared...