Shadowing/finding experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafitchick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Iam new here, and I am excited that I made the change from just general biology to medicine last year. Anyways. I am at a community college, finishing up one more year of pre-reqs to transfer, but I feel like I can't find opportunities to shadow docs or get lab work. I think that i should get morelab experience when I transfer, but in regards to shadowing docs, how did you find DO's to shadow and how do you go about asking to shadow them? Any advice appreciated! Thanks! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I am new to this too, but I found a few good ways to find shadowing opportunities. First, try the AOA, American Osteopathic Association, and look on their website. They provide you the name, location, where they went to school, what year and their speciality. Also, you can check around for local clinics or hospitals online to see if there are any Do's there. I also checked with a family chiropractor and he directed me to a few people. About finding out how to get them to let you shadow, the easiest way for me was to just call their office and ask to talk with them. Tell them who you are and what you hope to do and most people are nice enough to help or at least suggest another option. It also might just have been I was lucky, but its worth a shot. Good luck and maybe I'll see you in med school somewhere down the line. Smile. :)

Thanks! I have a few more years( hehe thats what happens when youpay for it all yourself) but I hope to be in med school soon! Cool, I'll start calling them and see if I can get some of them.

Also, when you guys shadow DO's,have you found a lot that still use manipulations as part of their work? I read some article that the gap between work of DOs and MD's is closing b/cless DO's do manipulations....anyone know anything?

take care and ave a good presidents day weekend! (if anyone has it off!)