Shadowing for MD/PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

missilesmissile

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I was wondering what would constitute sufficient clinical exposure for an MD/PhD applicant, both in time spent shadowing as well as diversity of experience. Among the specialties, is there also a bias towards specific ones -- would it also be potentially harmful to shadow a more clinically-oriented physician (eg emergency med)?

Thank you for the help.
 
The traditional advice is to have between 50-150 hrs of clinical experience and spend the rest of the time in the lab. I don’t believe there is a bias *against* shadowing any particular physician but having some kind of exposure to physician scientists IRL will benefit you I think in that interacting with them will help you speak more knowledgeably about your decision to become one. This has been my experience.

FWIW I had about 90 hours of shadowing, mostly in IM subspecialties, a few surgeons, about 100 hrs clinical volunteering all in primary care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had 0 hours of shadowing, but ~150 hours as a clinic volunteer, directly interacting with patients to record history, vitals, etc. I agree with ganglia777, as long as you have about 2-3 cases within your experience that you can talk about in a meaningful way, you should be fine.
 
This is not the prevailing opinion on SDN, but I'm going to plug it anyway: make sure you do some real, sold shadowing with a physician-scientist (doesn't need to be an MDPhD per se, but someone who does translational work). THE biggest asset I had in applications/interviews was showing that I really understood the working reality of being a physician-scientist and all that it would entail.

"Real, solid shadowing" doesn't necessarily mean anything specific numerically, but make sure that you're actually watching/absorbing how the physician interacts with patients, and how their research informs their clinical work and visa versa, and how that might look for yourself.