Shadowing hours for UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarutobi231

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the list Doc toothache posted in another thread said that UIC recommends 100+ hours of shadowing, but do you think it would hinder my chances if I had 50-60 hours instead?? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

100 hours is recommended, and not required, so you can still apply and get accepted with 50-60 hours. However, any time a school recommends you to do something and you don't do it, it would hinder your chances slightly. For example, if you and other applicants had similar GPA/DAT/ECs/LoRs, and other people had the recommended hours, they would get the interview rather than you. If UIC is your first choice, get the 100 hours. If it's not, don't worry about it.

I had even less than 50 hours and I got accepted. Well, as long as your GPA and DAT scores back you up and you show a clear interest in dentistry than you'll be fine.

From my opinion, it's also great to participate in dental related volunteer activities such as Give Kids A Smile Day. UIC is greatly involved in it!!

Good Luck~

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya it looks like I will only get 50-60 hours...thnx for the input!

I know the list Doc toothache posted in another thread said that UIC recommends 100+ hours of shadowing, but do you think it would hinder my chances if I had 50-60 hours instead?? Thank you.

I was offered an interview with slightly less than 50 hours. At the interview, admissions staff personnel told me I really needed to get more time shadowing - especially with my background as a career-changer. I am now over 100 and had my dentist write me a memo saying as much. I would recommend doing whatever you can to get 100 hours if UIC is your target school. Shadow on federal holidays off from school, on spring break, whatever.

I was offered an interview with slightly less than 50 hours. At the interview, admissions staff personnel told me I really needed to get more time shadowing - especially with my background as a career-changer. I am now over 100 and had my dentist write me a memo saying as much. I would recommend doing whatever you can to get 100 hours if UIC is your target school. Shadow on federal holidays off from school, on spring break, whatever.

So can I have roughly 50 wen I first submit my application then vow to do 50 more and them send them the documentation and that would be ok??

So can I have roughly 50 wen I first submit my application then vow to do 50 more and them send them the documentation and that would be ok??

I did it that way b/c I only had time to shadow 50ish at time of application. I don't even know how many hours my dentist put in my LOR which went out with my app. I merely mailed an update to my hours to UIC since the admissions staff said I should try to get some more. I thought my actions to be the right thing to do.

I would make sure to have a MINIMUM of 50 at time of application, and shoot for more - it will look more positively to do so. I think most adcoms have a floor to number of shadowing hours they require - advertised or not.