Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for all those accepted to d-school or currently attending. How many shadowing hours did you have at the time you applied? Do dental schools look for a minimum number of hours, or do they even ask? I have a whopping 4 hours to date and am looking to do more over summer and christmas break this year. (I posted this in the predent forum as well).

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by RaiderNation
Just a quick question for all those accepted to d-school or currently attending. How many shadowing hours did you have at the time you applied? Do dental schools look for a minimum number of hours, or do they even ask? I have a whopping 4 hours to date and am looking to do more over summer and christmas break this year. (I posted this in the predent forum as well).
Probably 20 or 30. I was never asked about it.

I had around 90 hours...just mentioned it briefly during the interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 80 hours. I mentioned that I shadowed in most of my interviews. The number of hours never came up.

IMO, I think it's important that one comes off as knowing to some degree what one is getting himself/herself into. On that same note, a dental school candidate is not at all required to know procedures or industry lingo...but rather just have a sincere interest in the profession.

What do you people do during your shadowing? I'm curious...

to OP, wish all your posts were meaningful and not causing threads or get closed.

to answer your question, i had about 400 hrs volunteer work and about 3 months of paid exp (after the 400 hrs i was hired as an assistant). i did get asked about them in 2 of my interviews.

at IU, i was even asked about couple of procedures. i think one question was what do you guys use for the root canals (electronic stuff or do it manually with RCT files) and another one i think was about our turn around time on delivering crowns or something.

I did about 40 hours of shadowing, but my dentist wrote in my rec letter that i did cloes to 200 hours ;) ( we have a good relation ship) . I would have to say the more shodowing hours the better, also the more exposure to different specialities the better. In our office i observed endo, perio, pedo, and general. Shodowing hours will also allow you to get to know your dentist better and vice versa, which will allow him or her to write a awsome LOR for you. Good Luck!

i had about 400 hours in 3 differnt offices. (Endo, Ortho, GP)

I did about the same # of hrs as aphistis. Schools just want to know if you're making an informed decision on your career. It's not a contest to see who can shadow the most. If you put in more than 30 hrs, great, but admissionswise it won't make a whole lot of difference. It all comes down to DAT, GPA, and interview. I would say that after about 15-20 hrs you will have more than enough to talk about in your interview if they quiz you on procedures like they did with me. I also agree with Quick Slvr that when you shadow, check out some of the specialties if you can. This will broaden your range of knowledge, just don't have a favorite if they ask(they did with me, and I told them that it was way too early for me to be thinking about specializing and that I was just interested to see what each one does).