Shadowing - how to explain / where does this go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gapped3x

Reaction score
So, shadowing.

It's to show I know what the doctor life is like, yeah? Here's the deal. I've done 100+ hours across about 8 different hospital floors/ departments. Some were volunteering, some were paramedic clinical rotations. I know these don't count as shadowing, but they've shown me a lot about medical life, at least on the hospital side.

The question is how do I make sure adcoms see this so my shadowing hours don't look low? Yes, I've done actual shadowing in primary care, but only 20-odd hours or so. So where / how do I say hey, the morgue was fascinating but not for me, surgery = morgue (smells better, tho) because you never see the patients awake, ICU = boring (except the 5 minutes when it wasn't), ED is my jam, pediatric ED is *really* my jam, etc. Does it go in a description somewhere?

If the answer is get more shadowing it will come at the cost of volunteering because I work a ton of OT as a medic. Please don't say get less sleep bc that makes me dangerous at work.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying in this cycle? If not, get yourself 30 more hours of shadowing. Volunteering and clinical training doesn't count as shadowing. Let someone follow them around on a 8-12 hour shift. Repeat 2 more times with different specialties.

Of course, any essay or interviewer that asks "why medicine" you are free to include experiences other than shadowing when formulating a response.

The shadowing item in the Work & Experiences section of the application is a quick and dirty way for an application assessor to size up your application and you don't want to get dinged by someone who makes a cursory glance at "shadowing" and decides that you are too unfamiliar with what a physician does (particularly if your paid work experience is pre-hospital) to be considered a viable applicant for that school. (Remember, some schools interview <15% of all applicants, the winnowing is fierce).

Reactions: 1 users