Shadowing in the COVID-time with a full time job

nicesecrets

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I have seen some very helpful responses to how you can get shadowing hours during these uncertain times by scribing or some other full time job in a clinical setting. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for a shadowing-type experience for nontrads who work full time and don't have the bandwidth to scribe or get a clinical job.

For some background, the last clinical observer/shadowing I did was back in 2015 over one month in the summer during my graduate program. While this does give me enough hours (~160), I wanted to have some more recent shadowing hours when I apply next cycle. I had a few experiences lined up pre-COVID, but of course those are gone now. I contacted the hospitals where I had set up the shadowing and they said MAYBE shadowing can start up again in the fall but that is a big maybe. If I am not able to get any conventional shadowing hours for the rest of the year and spring of next year, does anyone have any ideas of what could be a good substitute for shadowing hours when a full time clinical job is not an option? Under these circumstances would adcoms be more understanding and accommodating for the hours that I have from (very) long ago?

Thank you, appreciate any advice!

another_nontrad

Mar 16, 2020
    1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
      not an adcom, but I set up skype 'coffee'/calls with doctors instead of shadowing. even if it doesn't technically count as shadowing hours, there's definitely a lot you can learn by asking intelligent questions. as far as working full time, I shadowed night shift (pre-covid). good luck!

annad_700

Apr 17, 2020
      1. Pre-Medical
        I know this post is from a while back but I'm in the same position. I have no shadowing hours and I'm concerned that it may be this way for a long while. I also work full time and had considering a PT scribe position but I'm not even sure if it's a possibility right now; most companies seem to prefer that their scribe employees take at least two shifts a week and that would be a big stretch for me (and my schedule would be very limited to only Saturday, Sunday, and maybe a night shift on the weekdays). I'm still going through a scribe training for the position. I applied online to a national company, my application got accepted, and if I complete the scribe app and pass then I think they contact me with next steps. I just figured at that point I can speak with someone and evaluate the possibility of one shift per week. If this doesn't work out for me then I'm just crossing my fingers that circumstances improve before I get too close to when I am planning to submit my application (June 2022). I've got some time, but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

It's been awhile since this post so did you come up with an alternative way to shadow or figure something out?

annad_700

Apr 17, 2020
        1. Pre-Medical
          not an adcom, but I set up skype 'coffee'/calls with doctors instead of shadowing. even if it doesn't technically count as shadowing hours, there's definitely a lot you can learn by asking intelligent questions. as far as working full time, I shadowed night shift (pre-covid). good luck!

Did you already have doctors who are contacts in your personal sphere? I don't know any doctors so I think if I would do this it would be on a sort of cold call practice. Ideally I would like to have at least one recommendation letter from a doctor. I was hoping that shadowing would kill two birds with one stone and I would get hours plus find a doctor that would be willing to write a recommendation letter for me. I like this idea because if I could at least begin to develop a working/mentoring relationship with a physician, I may be able to secure a rec letter.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.