May 7, 2012
Status
Having difficulty finding somewhere to Shadow. Anyone know of any hospitals of other places where I can shadow a doctor in the Philadelphia Area? I have shadowed one before/worked with him for 7 months during my coop, but am looking for more. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Having difficulty finding somewhere to Shadow. Anyone know of any hospitals of other places where I can shadow a doctor in the Philadelphia Area? I have shadowed one before/worked with him for 7 months during my coop, but am looking for more. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I am a PCOM 3rd year. Try contacting the family med office at PCOM. They may or may not take you...but the docs in there are used to teaching. There is a doc Dr. Vladyka who is a really good guy and a great teacher. My m1 year I "shadowed" him for a day as part of a class and I had a great time. Ill let you know if I can think of anyone else locally...but i never shadowed as a premed so unfortunately my experience in that realm is limited.

May 7, 2012
Status
I am a PCOM 3rd year. Try contacting the family med office at PCOM. They may or may not take you...but the docs in there are used to teaching. There is a doc Dr. Vladyka who is a really good guy and a great teacher. My m1 year I "shadowed" him for a day as part of a class and I had a great time. Ill let you know if I can think of anyone else locally...but i never shadowed as a premed so unfortunately my experience in that realm is limited.
You never shadowed as a Premed? Isn't shadowing a doctor a good thing to have for applications into medical schools?

About the Ads

lacrosse87

10+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
USA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You never shadowed as a Premed? Isn't shadowing a doctor a good thing to have for applications into medical schools?
I'm also from the Philly area, undergrad at Penn, workin there since graduation in 2010, never shadowed either

hatersgonnahate.jpg

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I graduated college in 2005 and had a full time career in healthcare. I didnt need to shadow I had something like 20,000 hours of experience going back to 2003 when I started working. But yes, for most people without extenuating circumstances like mine, its a good (necessary) thing.

SopChoppy

Land of Sand
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2009
US
Status
Medical Student
Drive down Montgomery Ave in Lower Merion and you will find about 20 DO offices you could ask.

EnergyDrink

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I want to bump this because I still haven't been able to find a D.O. to shadow.

May 7, 2012
Status
I've heard you can shadow your family doctor if he is a DO and willing to write a letter. Just food for thought.

thisland

7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Have you tried cold calling small offices? It depends on what you want, I could help if you're interested in ob/gyn, specifically. pm me.

I also used this: http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx
I was living in Roxborough when I applied and I used this site, searched, then called about 30 doctors that were near my house to ask if I could shadow them. A handful of them got back to me (or I reached them through the office) and I ended up shadowing two different doctors for a short time. It can be done, just don't be discouraged that you don't get any response at all from several people.

About the Ads