Shadowing near Philly Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgk27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having difficulty finding somewhere to Shadow. Anyone know of any hospitals of other places where I can shadow a doctor in the Philadelphia Area? I have shadowed one before/worked with him for 7 months during my coop, but am looking for more. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Having difficulty finding somewhere to Shadow. Anyone know of any hospitals of other places where I can shadow a doctor in the Philadelphia Area? I have shadowed one before/worked with him for 7 months during my coop, but am looking for more. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I am a PCOM 3rd year. Try contacting the family med office at PCOM. They may or may not take you...but the docs in there are used to teaching. There is a doc Dr. Vladyka who is a really good guy and a great teacher. My m1 year I "shadowed" him for a day as part of a class and I had a great time. Ill let you know if I can think of anyone else locally...but i never shadowed as a premed so unfortunately my experience in that realm is limited.

I am a PCOM 3rd year. Try contacting the family med office at PCOM. They may or may not take you...but the docs in there are used to teaching. There is a doc Dr. Vladyka who is a really good guy and a great teacher. My m1 year I "shadowed" him for a day as part of a class and I had a great time. Ill let you know if I can think of anyone else locally...but i never shadowed as a premed so unfortunately my experience in that realm is limited.

You never shadowed as a Premed? Isn't shadowing a doctor a good thing to have for applications into medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
You never shadowed as a Premed? Isn't shadowing a doctor a good thing to have for applications into medical schools?

I'm also from the Philly area, undergrad at Penn, workin there since graduation in 2010, never shadowed either

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I graduated college in 2005 and had a full time career in healthcare. I didnt need to shadow I had something like 20,000 hours of experience going back to 2003 when I started working. But yes, for most people without extenuating circumstances like mine, its a good (necessary) thing.

Drive down Montgomery Ave in Lower Merion and you will find about 20 DO offices you could ask.

I want to bump this because I still haven't been able to find a D.O. to shadow.

I've heard you can shadow your family doctor if he is a DO and willing to write a letter. Just food for thought.

Have you tried cold calling small offices? It depends on what you want, I could help if you're interested in ob/gyn, specifically. pm me.

I also used this: http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx

I was living in Roxborough when I applied and I used this site, searched, then called about 30 doctors that were near my house to ask if I could shadow them. A handful of them got back to me (or I reached them through the office) and I ended up shadowing two different doctors for a short time. It can be done, just don't be discouraged that you don't get any response at all from several people.