Shadowing- need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

member13077

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section!
But anyway, I'm currently about to be a 2nd year undergraduate student and I'm currently pre-med. I've been shadowing a head and neck surgeon whose surgical specialty is in oncology. I've been shadowing him twice a week and I observe him in clinic and in the OR and it has been such a great experience! He explains most of the surgeries to me and he answers any questions I have.

So I'll be done with my shadowing probably in a month or 6 weeks, and I would like to ask him for a letter of recommendation that I can use to apply for internships and research positions (mostly for next summer). A few questions:

1) Even though I do shadow him, is it worth it to even ask for a letter? He doesn't know me too well and I feel like he wouldn't really be able to talk about my personal qualities. What do you think?

2) Is there any way I can maximize the shadowing opportunity? During clinic, I usually ask whatever questions I have but when there are a lot of residents around, he's usually busy and talks to them more, so it's hard for me to join the conversation since they're using terms I don't know and talking about things I don't know about. During his procedures, I mean, he's obviously busy. But I'd really like him to get to know me a little better, you know?

Thanks in advanced! 🙂
 
yes, ask him for a letter. It will be essential that you have a letter from someone that has seen you in a clinical setting. He should know what to write. Stuff like "gets along well with patients" or "asks questions when I am doing stuff" or "is pleasant to be around." things like that. Without a physician letter it will be difficult to get into MD school, and impossible to get into DO school (some/most will accept an MD letter, but quite a few prefer or require a DO letter).

dsoz
 
yes, ask him for a letter. It will be essential that you have a letter from someone that has seen you in a clinical setting. He should know what to write. Stuff like "gets along well with patients" or "asks questions when I am doing stuff" or "is pleasant to be around." things like that. Without a physician letter it will be difficult to get into MD school, and impossible to get into DO school (some/most will accept an MD letter, but quite a few prefer or require a DO letter).

dsoz

This is not true. The most important letters are the ones that talk about strength of character and/or academics. How you act in a clinical setting while shadowing as a pre-med has little relevance to your application.

OP, I would only ask for a letter if you're sure it will be strong. A lukewarm recommendation won't help.