shadowing optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my girlfriend has been having a hard time finding an optometrist to shadow. No one is willing to let her watch them. How did you guys find one? What is a good way to ask them?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think the best way is to ask private or group ODs. They will have more say over if they want a student to watch or not. That is not to say that a corprate OD won't. A sneeky way in is to find a friend or family member that needs an exam and go in with them. Then while you are there, talk to the OD and ask if you can come back. She may also want to go to a practice and not just call. If you are standing in the waiting room it is harder to ignore you.

Honestly, I think the best way to find an optometrist to shadow is to ask your very own optometrist! If you don't allready have one-shame on you if you don't-maybe get a routine eye exam, talk to the optometrist, and see what happens. Also, last summer I worked for an OD at his office. I would recommend applying to many local practices, both commercial and private. While many may not get back to you, I'm sure one will respond. Most optometrist's seem more than willing to help others interested in optometry. Just ask around a little more! You'll find someone! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
adam82 said:
my girlfriend has been having a hard time finding an optometrist to shadow. No one is willing to let her watch them. How did you guys find one? What is a good way to ask them?

When I first got interested in the field I went to have an eye exam myself since I have never had a routine eye exam. After I started to tell my optometrist that I'm interested in the field he invited me to come back and shadow him for a couple of days. He was more than helpful. If she's really having a hard time maybe she can ask her advisor for help? I know both my college and HS advisors were very willing to set up interniships and such for their students.

Do you have a medical research institution near you? Since I'm in LA, I called both UCLA and USC's eye centers (even though I don't go to either school) and asked to speak with the volunteer coordinator. After explaining my situation, I got placed at UCLA's low vision clinic, which has been awesome. The doctors are used to having student observers, and in this way, I'm able to see optometrists and opthamalogists working together. Only downside (or really, it's a plus) is that these volunteer positions are not one-time deals. They expect a weekly commitment for at least 6 months or so.

I had the same problem, so I contacted the optometry school and asked for recommendation. They sent me a list of all optometrists affiliated with the school in my area. So that when I called, I started out with "My name is ..., and I'm considering optometry and was refered to you by ... school". They are more willing to listen when you got their number from someplace other than yellow pages. The first 2 optometrists on the list still refused, but then the third was willing to help me and was really good at showing me everything he does and telling me about all the equipment and tests.

adam82 said:

the best thing is to just ask your current optometrist after undergoing an eye exam