Shadowing optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awty89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a certain number of hours that optometry schools require? So far I've shadowed 2 optometrists for about 4 hours each. Some optometrists are so busy that they only allow me to shadow once or twice. When I go to optometrists should I ask if I can shadow them twice a week for maybe a month?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a certain number of hours that optometry schools require? So far I've shadowed 2 optometrists for about 4 hours each. Some optometrists are so busy that they only allow me to shadow once or twice. When I go to optometrists should I ask if I can shadow them twice a week for maybe a month?

it differs from school to school. you will need to call individual schools to find out.

you don't need to shadow an opt for a month, you can do it for only 1-2 days. That is how SCCO generally "trains" their pre-ops to shadow. if the opt invites you back, then good for you, you landed a week long/ month long shadowing gig. but i wouldn't ask them straight up to be there for a month. that's asking for a lot.