Shadowing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhotoMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a silly question.

I have worked in the hospital setting for quite some time. I have witnessed countless physician-patient encounters and have actively assisted in more than a dozen codes. Therefore, I'm curious. Is shadowing really necessary, given my circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh....you don't really need a lot of shadowing hours, but I think adcom's look for it. What's the harm in formally shadowing a few docs for a day or two if it'll help you get into med school. Realistically, I don't think it's necessary, but I wouldn't really want to chance an application cycle just because of that. I have worked in the ER, side by side with docs (I'm a scribe) for about a year and a half, and still ended up shadowing. It was REALLY relevant to the one school I received an acceptance to (PCOM). It was one of the first questions they asked me (about my experience shadowing a D.O. who exclusively performed OMM), and we ended up spending a good chunk of my interview talking about it. If you do, definitely try shadowing a D.O.

Good luck!

Ok guys, I have a silly question.

I have worked in the hospital setting for quite some time. I have witnessed countless physician-patient encounters and have actively assisted in more than a dozen codes. Therefore, I'm curious. Is shadowing really necessary, given my circumstances?
Yes

Eh....you don't really need a lot of shadowing hours, but I think adcom's look for it. What's the harm in formally shadowing a few docs for a day or two if it'll help you get into med school. Realistically, I don't think it's necessary, but I wouldn't really want to chance an application cycle just because of that. I have worked in the ER, side by side with docs (I'm a scribe) for about a year and a half, and still ended up shadowing. It was REALLY relevant to the one school I received an acceptance to (PCOM). It was one of the first questions they asked me (about my experience shadowing a D.O. who exclusively performed OMM), and we ended up spending a good chunk of my interview talking about it. If you do, definitely try shadowing a D.O.

Good luck!

Fair enough. Thanks for your response.