Shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it typical to shadow in the same private office on more than one occasion? i shadowed with an OD when I was home in the summer and was thinking about calling to spend another day observing when i am home for the holiday. I don't know if I feel comfortable going in a second time. Would it be better to try to observe someone else? Home is also near an optometry school, would you try to contact the school and see if i can make arrangements there?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

idoc2b said:
Is it typical to shadow in the same private office on more than one occasion? i shadowed with an OD when I was home in the summer and was thinking about calling to spend another day observing when i am home for the holiday. I don't know if I feel comfortable going in a second time. Would it be better to try to observe someone else? Home is also near an optometry school, would you try to contact the school and see if i can make arrangements there?
Thanks!

I shadowed at one place twice, but I also shadowed at 3 other doctors places. You should go to more than one practice to get a feel for the proffession.

scalded said:
I shadowed at one place twice, but I also shadowed at 3 other doctors places. You should go to more than one practice to get a feel for the proffession.

Oh wow! I was planning on shadowing the same docter for a couple of months. I just started and so far in one week, I've been in for 3 days. Is this wrong? He is also teaching me so much that's why I keep coming in. I'm also hoping that he might be interested in giving me a tech job in the future once I learn more.

Members don't see this ad :)
mthomas2 said:
Oh wow! I was planning on shadowing the same docter for a couple of months. I just started and so far in one week, I've been in for 3 days. Is this wrong? He is also teaching me so much that's why I keep coming in. I'm also hoping that he might be interested in giving me a tech job in the future once I learn more.

It's great to shadow the same person for a while. It gives you a much better feel for the practice and optometry. But schools would also like you to shadow in other practices to get a well-rounded view. It's great for you to shadow this one doctor, especially since he's teaching you things, but maybe try to shadow one day at several other types of practices.

sco1styear said:
It's great to shadow the same person for a while. It gives you a much better feel for the practice and optometry. But schools would also like you to shadow in other practices to get a well-rounded view. It's great for you to shadow this one doctor, especially since he's teaching you things, but maybe try to shadow one day at several other types of practices.

Just when I thought I had it all together...you learn something new everyday on this forum. Thanks for the advice.