shadowing records

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmf2682

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything I need to do to document shadowing other than keeping my own personal log? Does the clinic where I'm doing it need to keep records in case they're asked to verify my hours when I apply? So far it's been pretty informal, passing me between various pediatricians

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything I need to do to document shadowing other than keeping my own personal log? Does the clinic where I'm doing it need to keep records in case they're asked to verify my hours when I apply? So far it's been pretty informal, passing me between various pediatricians
You log your own hours and self-report them on your app.

How do they know if you are overstating your hours or if you shadowed to begin with?

How do they know if you are overstating your hours or if you shadowed to begin with?
I can sense the characteristics of the energy field emanating from the activities section of your AMCAS. If the vibes are oriented in the wrong direction and the aura is the wrong color, then it incontrovertibly proves that you've falsified your hours. When that fails, well, I guess I just have to trust what the voices tell me. :p

All kidding aside, reporting your activities and time spent on them is completely on the honor system. One thing that you might do if you've spent a significant amount of time doing a particular activity is to ask your supervisor for a LOR. If you've gotten to know the supervisor well enough that they can write you a strong, specific LOR, it's not very likely that you've made that up. When I applied, I get a LOR from the manager at my part-time job, and I also got one from the physician whose clinical trial I was volunteering for.

I guess the other safeguard against people going too nuts with falsifying their apps is that if you represent something as being a significant EC, there is a high likelihood that your interviewer is going to ask you about it. So if you write down that you shadowed a pediatrician for 500 hours, well, that's a lot of hours! I'd be curious to know why you chose to do that, what made it so interesting that you kept it up, etc. If you really only shadowed for five hours, it's going to be a very awkward and painful conversation for both of us.