Shadowing specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duckyofrubber

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be shadowing three specialties, but only for about 3-5 hours each. What I want to know is, are these hours even worth listing on the application? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Although the hours aren't a lot, it shows that you did spent time exploring different specialties in dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ncide I think I really lucked out; all three of the dentists were very kind and happy to answer any questions I had, and guided me through several of the procedures they did throughout the day. I had a great time with all three, but I think each has their own merit and advantages. For ortho, I thought that the way the orthodontist knew each of the patients personally was really interesting-- the repeated appointments allow the patient-dentist relationship to really build, and I thought that was pretty cool. The oral surgery I had an awesome time, because I really admired the dexterity and skill required to pull off these procedures. Oral surgery covers a huge variety of treatment and procedure, from tooth extraction to facial reconstruction, and I think that's amazing. Periodontics I knew the least about going into shadowing, but I got to directly observe how oral disease is treated, and that seemed really interesting.