shadowing/volunteer experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kperry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a post-bacc (26 years old) and graduated with my BA in psychology when I was 22. I began working as a behavioral technician in a youth mental facility full-time for 3 years while doing all of the pre-medicine sciences and eventually re-signed because I hated the job and wanted to re-gain my sanity. I have some shadowing experience with a couple of D.O.'s who are family friends, but no more than 10 hours combined. I am also beginning to shadow a family friend who is an orthopedic surgeon.

I was planning on applying for the 2013 DO cycle but botched my first mcat attempt in may and I am pretty sure I did it again when I took it on september 7th.

Now, I am looking for any feedback and advice on how I can possibly beef up my shadowing/volunteer experience or if I even need to if my work experience at a mental health facility will count towards volunteer experience.

I work full-time and am currently taking some additional bio courses to try and raise my sGPA so I want to utilize my time effectively if I need to get more physician shadowing hours in.

Members don't see this ad.

Google and pick up the phone.

Get thee to a hospital so you can see what sick and injured people look like. Also, find something to show your altruism.

So, I am a post-bacc (26 years old) and graduated with my BA in psychology when I was 22. I began working as a behavioral technician in a youth mental facility full-time for 3 years while doing all of the pre-medicine sciences and eventually re-signed because I hated the job and wanted to re-gain my sanity. I have some shadowing experience with a couple of D.O.'s who are family friends, but no more than 10 hours combined. I am also beginning to shadow a family friend who is an orthopedic surgeon.

I was planning on applying for the 2013 DO cycle but botched my first mcat attempt in may and I am pretty sure I did it again when I took it on september 7th.

Now, I am looking for any feedback and advice on how I can possibly beef up my shadowing/volunteer experience or if I even need to if my work experience at a mental health facility will count towards volunteer experience.

I work full-time and am currently taking some additional bio courses to try and raise my sGPA so I want to utilize my time effectively if I need to get more physician shadowing hours in.