shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizza1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am done my application and it is all good to go with the exception of a letter from a DO or MD. I can get an MD reference letter as soon as this week, but to get DO reference letter I have to shadow in July and will get it possibly then. I am not sure what is the best thing to do...I know submitting early is a huge part...should I just submit a MD letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I am done my application and it is all good to go with the exception of a letter from a DO or MD. I can get an MD reference letter as soon as this week, but to get DO reference letter I have to shadow in July and will get it possibly then. I am not sure what is the best thing to do...I know submitting early is a huge part...should I just submit a MD letter?
Most schools look at the LOIs after the secondary to extend you an interview. Some may look at it after an interview invite. I would submit the app to get it verified early then try to get the DO letter submitted ASAP ( July is fine). If the DO letter for whatever reason falls through or won't be submitted until much later (September), then I would submit the MD letter to be safe. I believe even after you submit you app you can edit the evaluations part of it.

I agree with bahdahboom, submit your application and you can update it later. It's important to develop a good relationship with the physician that you're shadowing before asking them for a LOR. You can look at each school's website to see what they require in terms of LOR's.