Share your wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EW1779

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for all those who matched (or didn't match) successfully....it can continue all week.

The question: Is there anything that you wish someone had told you about the process (eg, LORs, away electives, grades, USMLE scores, interviews, ROLs) before you started it?

Us 3rd years would really benefit from some pearls from you guys that are going through the process now.

Thanks, and good luck on Thursday! Here's hoping you all get your first choice! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

bump....i know you guys have things you're dying to preach about!

EW1779 said:
bump....i know you guys have things you're dying to preach about!

We'll let you know on Thursday. I don't know about any one else but I am not "successfully" matched until I get one of my top three. :)
I am grateful to have matched, but don't know how to answer your question until I open my envelope on Thursday.

til then..........................

Members don't see this ad :)
gasgodess said:
I am grateful to have matched, but don't know how to answer your question until I open my envelope on Thursday.

They still do the "envelope" thing? Is this how it works at U.S. school still? I have to log on to the R3 system to get my Match results. It'd be more fun to be around my friends and get the big surprise in person. :(

But, OTOH, at least it's St. Patty's Day and we're getting the day off from rotations. I think there's going to be a pretty non-sober period of time afterwards. :D

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
They still do the "envelope" thing? Is this how it works at U.S. school still? I have to log on to the R3 system to get my Match results. It'd be more fun to be around my friends and get the big surprise in person. :(

But, OTOH, at least it's St. Patty's Day and we're getting the day off from rotations. I think there's going to be a pretty non-sober period of time afterwards. :D

-Skip

Yup it's a big thing at my school. It's actually a school sponsored non-sober event :) They kick off the day with Champagne and the we (the students) continue it with whatever beverage is available. :) :laugh:

yankeeh8r said:
Hmm... things I wish I had been told before the process?

The importance of LORs, for one, I had really great letters from awesome people, but I never had even the faintest idea how much they meant until I got out there on the trail. At every place I interviewed, someone (be they chair or PD) was friends with or collaborated with or trained with one of my letter writers. Uncanny.

The other thing is just how low-key the interviews are. Most of the process is the program trying to sell themselves to the applicants. Of course, because of that it's always good to realize that the most realistic view/impression you'll get of a place comes from the residents' dinner. I think that about covers the stuff I wished I knew beforehand.

I guess I do have something to contribute afterall. Yes LOR's are HUGE!!!

How important is the reputation of your medical school (MD or DO) regarding admissions to more competitive anesthesiology residency programs (assuming your GPA, Boards, etc. are good)?

yankeeh8r said:
Hmm... things I wish I had been told before the process?

The importance of LORs, for one, I had really great letters from awesome people, but I never had even the faintest idea how much they meant until I got out there on the trail. At every place I interviewed, someone (be they chair or PD) was friends with or collaborated with or trained with one of my letter writers. Uncanny.

The other thing is just how low-key the interviews are. Most of the process is the program trying to sell themselves to the applicants. Of course, because of that it's always good to realize that the most realistic view/impression you'll get of a place comes from the residents' dinner. I think that about covers the stuff I wished I knew beforehand.

It's cool that the interviews are low-key and are more about the programs marketing themselves, but as a result, do the interviews actually serve a purpose in judging the candidates at all??

Or is the interview just a "symbolic" gesture to make sure you are a real person, instead the actual ranking of candidates by programs based more on the application interviewees have already submitted?

I just don't see a purpose of a "low key" interview if it doesn't help the program with its decision making. (Gauging interest in the program, perhaps? seeing whether you have a good personality?)

I went on 12 interviews and definately agree that interviews are extremely low key. In fact they are so benign that I had to remind myself to stay in the game b/c you could get very comfortable and let your guard down. Does this mean they are not interested in you? Absolutely not. Academically they have everything they need in front of them on paper. If you didn't qualify on paper you wouldn't be there. So what are they looking for in the interviews??? They want to know if they can work with you on a daily basis for three years. You will be spending a lot of time at the hospital and they want to make sure that you will not disrupt their house. It's not that hard to tell that either from an interview. First impressions are usually correct. If you come across as someone who may not fit into their "family" they will know this within the first 5 minutes of your interviews. They don't pimp or drill you. It is obvious on paper that you are capable of handling academic info. At the same time they must sell the program to you. You could be a rock star in their eyes but if they do a terrible job of convincing you that their program is a great place to train and live then what is the point of having you there. It is a two way street.

so it is basically that the programs already pretty much know who they're ranking before the interview, and just need to make sure you're easy going and have good team-player potential? And if you don't then they cross you off the list and bump up the next person?

I'd imagine it would have to be a very drastically apparent personality, such as being plain nasty or totally uninterested-apearing at the interview to have to make that much of a difference in terms of how they rank you?

Sitting here looking at who we got through the match, I can tell you that 6 out of the 15 we took did a rotation here and 5 others came back for second looks after the formal interview. If you really want to go somewhere, show that program that you are willing to spend extra time and effort to make an impression. It plays a big part especially when we can look at you for more than just an hour to really get to know you.

Congratulations to everyone on the match!