Shared Resdiency - 411 please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone secured or does anyone know of someone with a shared (i.e. "part-time") residency? I did a search on AMA and found a list of 25 or so institutions that offer one in peds, but I was wondering how difficult they are to come by?

How does one get one? Do you simply indicate you're interested upon applying or during interview and are matched, or do you need to find another person with whom to share the residency after matching? Does the residency take twice as long - and do you work half the hours per week, or do work for six months on, six months off?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Pinki said:
Has anyone secured or does anyone know of someone with a shared (i.e. "part-time") residency? I did a search on AMA and found a list of 25 or so institutions that offer one in peds, but I was wondering how difficult they are to come by?

BUMP

Please someone give their 2 cents.

I stumbled across a few places that were share friendly in IM during my residency search. I only know of 4 people doing shared spots right now. 2 married couples, both had kids during intern year, the couples are now splitting a spot (q other month on) while keeping their continuity clinic.

They're out there but not that common so you have to look hard for them.

BE (now PE)