Shelf Exam prep - resources and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Axe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have shelfs coming up for histo, anatomy, and biochem in 2 weeks and need some advice on the best way to use my time. Could anyone who crushed these exams give any tips on the best resources and best way to use study time.

Im sure its been covered before but the search fxn is down.

Members don't see this ad.

Axe said:
I have shelfs coming up for histo, anatomy, and biochem in 2 weeks and need some advice on the best way to use my time. Could anyone who crushed these exams give any tips on the best resources and best way to use study time.

Im sure its been covered before but the search fxn is down.
With Anatomy, I solely relied on BRS for review and did just fine. For biochem, I honestly didn't use any review books, but scheduled myself to go over all the lecture material before the exam, and did well. I guess from that, the lectures for me were better resources than review materials (I also relied on lecture notes for other subject boards for micro and neuro and did fairly well). If you're scrunched for time, and seems like you might be, perhaps the BRS books may give you the speedy review you need. But if you really want to do well, then schedule yourself efficiently to review the lecture notes... it makes sense that lectures go into more detail than the BRS books do, and the subject boards can be a little nitpicky.

Lippincott's for biochem!!!! Harvey and Champe. Studied this and took our biochem department's shelf/final exam during the first week of school and passed. Don't have to take biochem as an MS1.