You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Program-Specific Info / Q's Shenandoah University 2019-2020
Started by OTsophie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Have you heard anything back yet ?Hey guys! I just wanted to make a thread for those who applied to SU’s OT programs. We can keep each other updated there. I just got an email that stated they received my application.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you heard anything back yet ?
Not yet, just that they will email me when my application is ready to be reviewed. I heard they start reviewing applications stating the beginning of this month though.
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
An SU OT graduate told me today that they’re not holding interviews anymore? I was told at the Open House in April that they were. Anyone know for sure if they will be having interviews or not?
Hoping to hear from them soon. The admissions coordinator said “mid-November” is when we should be hearing from the admissions committee, but I’m so anxious!
Hoping to hear from them soon. The admissions coordinator said “mid-November” is when we should be hearing from the admissions committee, but I’m so anxious!
An SU OT graduate told me today that they’re not holding interviews anymore? I was told at the Open House in April that they were. Anyone know for sure if they will be having interviews or not?
Hoping to hear from them soon. The admissions coordinator said “mid-November” is when we should be hearing from the admissions committee, but I’m so anxious!
I heard that have interviews every other year so there is a chance they might this year since I heard they did last year, but if they said in April they would, I’m surprised if they didn’t.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
Just got an email that my application is completed and has been forwarded to the admissions committee! Decisions for an interview will be made in mid-November.
plantraven421
Full Member
I just got an invite for November 15th too! Did they ever reply back to you after sending an email to confirm?
I just got an invite for November 15th too! Did they ever reply back to you after sending an email to confirm?
Not yet! I sent an email confirming and asking the time the interview will be but I think we were suppose to schedule a time with them. So hopefully we a replay soon.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
Now my stomach will be in knots until I hear from them... crossing my fingers and toes. Congrats on the interview, guys. Good luck!
plantraven421
Full Member
I still haven’t heard from her either 🙁 I sent a follow up email a couple days ago but I still haven’t gotten anything again.Not yet! I sent an email confirming and asking the time the interview will be but I think we were suppose to schedule a time with them. So hopefully we a replay soon.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
plantraven421
Full Member
Thank you! I hope you hear from them soon !Now my stomach will be in knots until I hear from them... crossing my fingers and toes. Congrats on the interview, guys. Good luck!
I still haven’t heard from her either 🙁 I sent a follow up email a couple days ago but I still haven’t gotten anything again.
They had replied to me Friday night and stated that my interview slot is at 10 am. I am not sure if that’s the same for everyone.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
For everyone who has an interview, when did you all submit your OTCAS applications?
I also have an interview that and I haven’t heard back about the time yet either!Hey guys! I have an interview on the 22nd but haven’t heard back about what time it will be. Does anyone else have their interview this day?
I submitted in the beginning of September!For everyone who has an interview, when did you all submit your OTCAS applications?
I submitted mine October 10thFor everyone who has an interview, when did you all submit your OTCAS applications?
I am a current Year 2 student at Shenandoah's Leesburg campus. I will be helping out and answering questions on 11/15 for the students interviewing that day. See you there and good luck on your interview 🙂
Amanda
OT instagram: @ot.enlightenment
All the information I have seen on the website and was told when I visited was that interviews would occur in January 2020. Do you know if they have decided to push all the interviews forward to the 15th and the 22nd of November or will they continue to hold more interviews?I am a current Year 2 student at Shenandoah's Leesburg campus. I will be helping out and answering questions on 11/15 for the students interviewing that day. See you there and good luck on your interview 🙂
Amanda
OT instagram: @ot.enlightenment
Hey guys! So I heard back yesterday and they told me my interview is at 10am on the 22nd and that there will be an essay in addition to the interview. Does anyone have any advice for the essay or know how to prepare for it?
When I had my interview there, I had no idea I would even be in a group writing an essay. It is not as anxiety-driven as it sounds at all, its more of a casual group discussion. My best advice is to not even try to prepare, because you really can't since you don't know what the topic will be! They want to see how you interact in a group. So be friendly and ready to work together with the group you are in!
All the information I have seen on the website and was told when I visited was that interviews would occur in January 2020. Do you know if they have decided to push all the interviews forward to the 15th and the 22nd of November or will they continue to hold more interviews?
Interviews for those date 11/15 are 11/22 did and will still occur. As far as future interviews, I am not informed about on my end! I remember having my interview in January of 2018, so I would not fret. They may just be trying to get an early start on the process before the holidays kick in! If you have other questions about interviews dates, I would direct that to admissions!
It’s a group essay? How does that work?When I had my interview there, I had no idea I would even be in a group writing an essay. It is not as anxiety-driven as it sounds at all, its more of a casual group discussion. My best advice is to not even try to prepare, because you really can't since you don't know what the topic will be! They want to see how you interact in a group. So be friendly and ready to work together with the group you are in!
Hey everybody! I had my interview at Shenandoah on Nov. 22nd. I know it has only been a couple of days, but I am so anxious to hear back. Does anyone know the timeframe in which they will get back to us? Do you think it will be a few weeks, months, etc.? This is my first time applying, so I am a little unsure of what to expect.
Hey everybody! I had my interview at Shenandoah on Nov. 22nd. I know it has only been a couple of days, but I am so anxious to hear back. Does anyone know the timeframe in which they will get back to us? Do you think it will be a few weeks, months, etc.? This is my first time applying, so I am a little unsure of what to expect.
Hey! I asked the director this and she had said we should know by January!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did everyone just get the email about the OTD interviews? I assumed I was getting denied because I knew there had been interviews and hadn't received an invitation (I didn't realize it was for the masters program). My husband got the mail yesterday and there was a Christmas card from their admissions office. I thought it was seriously cruel to send a card to someone you were denying 😆
I'm wondering if we got the email, if we are definitely getting interviews, or if they sent that to everyone who applied to the OTD program?
I'm wondering if we got the email, if we are definitely getting interviews, or if they sent that to everyone who applied to the OTD program?
I got that email too!Did everyone just get the email about the OTD interviews? I assumed I was getting denied because I knew there had been interviews and hadn't received an invitation (I didn't realize it was for the masters program). My husband got the mail yesterday and there was a Christmas card from their admissions office. I thought it was seriously cruel to send a card to someone you were denying 😆
I'm wondering if we got the email, if we are definitely getting interviews, or if they sent that to everyone who applied to the OTD program?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
I also got that email and am wondering the same!Did everyone just get the email about the OTD interviews? I assumed I was getting denied because I knew there had been interviews and hadn't received an invitation (I didn't realize it was for the masters program). My husband got the mail yesterday and there was a Christmas card from their admissions office. I thought it was seriously cruel to send a card to someone you were denying 😆
I'm wondering if we got the email, if we are definitely getting interviews, or if they sent that to everyone who applied to the OTD program?
I just got an email saying I was accepted to the MSOT program in Leesburg!
That’s great, congrats! I wonder if they are doing early acceptances. I thought that we were going to hear back in January but the earlier the better!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
That’s great, congrats! I wonder if they are doing early acceptances. I thought that we were going to hear back in January but the earlier the better!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Thank you! I’m so glad that I don’t have to wait til January. The suspense was killing me! I hope everyone else gets notified of their acceptance soon!What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Here are my stats:
School: Radford University Carilion
Cumulative GPA: 3.8
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Observation Hours: 150 hours in an outpatient clinic, 20 hours in a skilled nursing facility, 10 hours with a school based OT, and 40 hours with a PT in acute care
Volunteer experience: volunteered at a therapeutic riding center, participated in Relay for Life, peer tutor in math and science where I worked with students with learning disabilities, and I was a TA for A&P and general biology labs at my local community college
I had more random volunteer experiences on my application that I did throughout high school and college, but those were the main ones that I was asked to talk about in my interview.
Last edited:
I just got an acceptance email for the MSOT program as well!
Congrats! I hope I’ll hear back soon[emoji28]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
I hope you guys don’t mind me asking this, but those who just got accepted into the MSOT program, did you guys apply to both the OTD and MSOT programs? Or just the MSOT one?
and of course, CONGRATS!!!
and of course, CONGRATS!!!
I only applied to the MSOT programI hope you guys don’t mind me asking this, but those who just got accepted into the MSOT program, did you guys apply to both the OTD and MSOT programs? Or just the MSOT one?
and of course, CONGRATS!!!
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
Me too!!I just got invited to interview for the OTD program !
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I'm 95% sure! I have an interview for a school in Colorado that I’m deciding if I want to still go to or not!I was accepted on Friday as well! Congrats guys!!!! Are you guys going?
HopefulOTmomma
Full Member
I was offered admission to the OTD program as well and accepted!
Hey guys! I just wanted to make a thread for those who applied to SU’s OT programs. We can keep each other updated there. I just got an email that stated they received my application.
Hey people! As a current student in this program, I’d love to share some information with you. Don’t go to this, or any, OTD program. Stick with an MOT and don’t give these tricksters any more of your hard earned money. These fools have been pitching the (half-baked) SU OTD program to our class for months. Today, our first day of classes this semester, they took an hour to pitch the OTD program to us. Begging for us to bite and take this low value degree (right now all of therapy is seeing a large reduction in reimbursement, lowering the value of all rehabilitation degrees, and in particular the OTD) and swallow thousands of dollars for no financial gain and the tile of ‘over-schooled therapist’ aka OTD.I was offered admission to the OTD program as well and accepted!
In short - get an MOT and get out. Or these vampires will suck every resource you have until you are so far in debt that you can never be an ethical practitioner. ✌
Hey people! As a current student in this program, I’d love to share some information with you. Don’t go to this, or any, OTD program. Stick with an MOT and don’t give these tricksters any more of your hard earned money. These fools have been pitching the (half-baked) SU OTD program to our class for months. Today, our first day of classes this semester, they took an hour to pitch the OTD program to us. Begging for us to bite and take this low value degree (right now all of therapy is seeing a large reduction in reimbursement, lowering the value of all rehabilitation degrees, and in particular the OTD) and swallow thousands of dollars for no financial gain and the tile of ‘over-schooled therapist’ aka OTD.
In short - get an MOT and get out. Or these vampires will suck every resource you have until you are so far in debt that you can never be an ethical practitioner. ✌
I definitely would prefer the MSOT over an OTD. However, SU's OTD program is still cheaper than the other MSOT program I got into. I'm also really interested in teaching OT at a graduate level at some stage in my career.
I totally get your frustration over the cost of OT school. I would not be committing if my husband wasn't an MD with no student loans. Crazy that it has come to this. (Also hoping we get a new president who will seriously address our student loan crisis.)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 611
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 5K