Program-Specific Info / Q's Shenandoah University app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not because they had very weird prerequisites that my school didn't have or I have not taken. Plus I also heard they took the majority of their cohort from their own school!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
They did have a couple of different ones but I loved the campus and the faculty so much when I went to an information session that I had do apply there!

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome! I am glad you liked it! I am from Virginia and I love the Harrisonburg area!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting anxious cause I know we will hear from Jefferson soon! I have an interview with E&H on the 28th! Excited about that. Are you from Virginia or just want to go to school here?

I am from Virginia!! I go to Radford University right now and will be done in May with my undergraduate degree!

Reactions: 1 user
I definetly want to talk to a current student about the hybrid format but besides that everything about the program looks solid

I'm a current student. So the hybrid format isn't that bad. Takes a little getting used to, but by the third week, you will be comfortable. The work week begins on Wednesday and you have to get them done by Monday night. Tuesday, you are in class all day and it's a little rough because it's about 8-5 with just an one hour lunch break. On class days, it's just review or further explanation or the material that you learned Wed-Mon. Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

I'm a current student. So the hybrid format isn't that bad. Takes a little getting used to, but by the third week, you will be comfortable. The work week begins on Wednesday and you have to get them done by Monday night. Tuesday, you are in class all day and it's a little rough because it's about 8-5 with just an one hour lunch break. On class days, it's just review or further explanation or the material that you learned Wed-Mon. Let me know if you guys have any other questions!
Would you say that the in class days are more hands on, like doing labs and such, or has it been more lectures? The part that has me the most hesitant is that since it is only once a week in person, do they still provide training in transfers, etc?

Would you say that the in class days are more hands on, like doing labs and such, or has it been more lectures? The part that has me the most hesitant is that since it is only once a week in person, do they still provide training in transfers, etc?
Yes. Depeding on the material and the class it can be lectures or hands on material. The professors try and make it as hands on as possible since we are meeting once a week. You also have a class where you go into the community and get to practice what you have learned.

I have not. I have been wondering the same thing. I wonder when deposits were due.

They are due 15 days after January 16th. I imagine you will start to hear back early February?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone and congrats to those admitted! I'm brand new to studentdr and I've been accepted to the NOVA campus! I was worried about the quality of the program and how a hybrid program would play out with such a hands on field, but this thread made me exhale a little. My DPT fiancé is really pushing me to go somewhere else with all physical classes. This program has been in my top 3 and it's hard to suddenly consider elsewhere.

Next thing I'm worried about now is how the department will handle clinical placement... We just let go of a Lvl1FW student from the Winchester campus at the clinic I work at, and boy she had one hell of a horror story to share about some other student with their clinical experience. I picked her brain more to find that there are not many good places in the NOVA and Winchester areas to do FW anyway and many students are having difficulty. To any current students, will the department allow us to do FW outside the area or even out of state? After hearing all of that, I do have to wonder how much they consider the student's best interest.

Hi everyone and congrats to those admitted! I'm brand new to studentdr and I've been accepted to the NOVA campus! I was worried about the quality of the program and how a hybrid program would play out with such a hands on field, but this thread made me exhale a little. My DPT fiancé is really pushing me to go somewhere else with all physical classes. This program has been in my top 3 and it's hard to suddenly consider elsewhere.

Next thing I'm worried about now is how the department will handle clinical placement... We just let go of a Lvl1FW student from the Winchester campus at the clinic I work at, and boy she had one hell of a horror story to share about some other student with their clinical experience. I picked her brain more to find that there are not many good places in the NOVA and Winchester areas to do FW anyway and many students are having difficulty. To any current students, will the department allow us to do FW outside the area or even out of state? After hearing all of that, I do have to wonder how much they consider the student's best interest.

So I didn't apply to Shenandoah but I feel like I can weigh in a little. One of the therapists I shadowed went there and she is an excellent OT! She said that most students go back home to do their fieldwork (so yes you can go out of state). Also I wouldn't completely dismiss the program because it's a "hybrid." It's an accredited program and it sounds like you would still get the clinical/hands on experience that you absolutely need. I am about to enter a hybrid program myself and I felt a lot better about it after talking to current students. There may be more class time packed into fewer days, but they didn't feel like they were missing out and still had to do the same labs, fieldworks, etc. Some semesters also allowed for students to work part-time if they wanted to. I would definitely try and reach out to a couple current students or alumni to hear about their overall experience! Good luck!

So I didn't apply to Shenandoah but I feel like I can weigh in a little. One of the therapists I shadowed went there and she is an excellent OT! She said that most students go back home to do their fieldwork (so yes you can go out of state). Also I wouldn't completely dismiss the program because it's a "hybrid." It's an accredited program and it sounds like you would still get the clinical/hands on experience that you absolutely need. I am about to enter a hybrid program myself and I felt a lot better about it after talking to current students. There may be more class time packed into fewer days, but they didn't feel like they were missing out and still had to do the same labs, fieldworks, etc. Some semesters also allowed for students to work part-time if they wanted to. I would definitely try and reach out to a couple current students or alumni to hear about their overall experience! Good luck!
Thanks for your input! May I ask which hybrid program you're about to attend? I'm also considering another hybrid if all goes well with that one, just because I have connections with that city and cost of living will be cheaper there.

I never doubted Shenandoah was unaccredited...I'm probably listening to my fiancé too much on the matter because he knows online programs wouldn't suit him. I also like that they'll allow students to keep their part time work if they can handle it. The lady that gave me a tour said one of their OT students was working 30 hours/week and was able to succeed. Good to know they're more flexible on FW locations than I thought as I plan to do one of them in my hometown and one at the other side of the country.

Has anyone else gotten off the alternate list? I called yesterday and they said they were still in the process of accepting students!

Has anyone else gotten off the alternate list? I called yesterday and they said they were still in the process of accepting students!
I haven't heard anything yet! Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be removed! Does anyone know how many people have accepted for the Leesburg campus?

I went to SU at the Winchester campus, as the NOVA campus was not yet open when I was accepted, and I personally did not have difficulty getting placements in the NOVA area (which is where I live), nor were any of my placements bad. In fact, I now work for one of them. Some people went out of state for their Level IIs, but if that is what you choose to do, you kind of have to help the fieldwork coordinators with the legwork in locating something near you, at the very least, researching organizations in your area with the opportunities you might like and they can call, set up the contract, etc. A few people in my class had bad placements, BUT in some instances, it was due to their own failings as a student, and in other instances, the organization was one the school hadn't partnered with before and it turned out to be bad (i.e., unethical practices at a SNF which, unfortunately is not uncommon). The thing is, that's how the real world works; you might get a job at an organization that you think is going to be awesome and for whatever reason, it's just not, or you might get hired for a job that you simply don't fit well with. I think a lot of the people that complained from my class were the younger kids who really didn't have much if any actual job experience. As a career changer, I had the work experience to accept the reality of a less-than-optimal placement or a crappy CI.

The other thing to know is how they have to set up the contracts; there are rules as to how many inquiries they can put out for 1 student at a time, and they have to wait until they hear back from places before moving forward with others; that way the organizations who want to accept students don't get screwed over, and continue wanting to take fieldwork students ;). Placement contracts also fall through sometimes, through no fault of the fieldwork coordinators, because of things going on at the clinical site (i.e., a practitioner unexpectedly taking leave). Sometimes stuff just happens.

I haven't heard anything yet! Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be removed! Does anyone know how many people have accepted for the Leesburg campus?
I got off the alternate wait list today!

Hey if anyone is attending the Winchester Campus, message me and I can add you on facebook!!!

I created a Facebook group called Shenandoah University Occupational Therapy 2017-Winchester Campus! Add it!

Has anyone heard any more updates about the alternate lists and whether they're still waiting to hear from other students?

Has anyone heard any more updates about the alternate lists and whether they're still waiting to hear from other students?
The last time I spoke with Ms. Burrow, they only had 4 spots left. She did tell me my spot on the waiting list as well. I spoke with her at the beginning of last week! Good luck to you!

The last time I spoke with Ms. Burrow, they only had 4 spots left. She did tell me my spot on the waiting list as well. I spoke with her at the beginning of last week! Good luck to you!
Thanks for the information! Good luck to you as well

I emailed Linda this morning and she said the class is full but they will keep the list open until June/July. She also told me where I was on the waitlist.

I emailed Linda this morning and she said the class is full but they will keep the list open until June/July. She also told me where I was on the waitlist.
I got the same update today as well. Thanks for sharing

Did she sound like there was hope for getting off the wait list?
She didn't say one way or the other. We'll just have to take into consideration that the class is full at this point, so anyone getting off the waitlist is dependent upon someone giving up their seat in the class.

She didn't say one way or the other. We'll just have to take into consideration that the class is full at this point, so anyone getting off the waitlist is dependent upon someone giving up their seat in the class.
Well I'm Number 48 so my chanches are not so great... unless people take their names off the list. Good luck everyone!

Yea i'm number 35 so my chances are not very great either! Good luck to the rest of you :)

I was accepted off the waitlist this morning for Winchester and will be attending!

Has anyone heard anything about when we start classes/acceptance day/confirmation on deposit/anything????

Has anyone heard anything about when we start classes/acceptance day/confirmation on deposit/anything????
Same..I had to look up when we start through online calendar (August 21st). Since I got the email receipt for my deposit in mid January, I haven't heard from them. At all. Weren't we supposed to receive a financial aid package or something back in March?? I'm so bothered by this silence!

I received the acceptance email, but not the official mail and am leaving town for a month. I submitted my deposit via phone and also sent in my transcripts. I've tried contacting Linda multiple times, but I'm curious if there is more I need to do to secure my spot? Feeling super anxious about it.

I received the acceptance email, but not the official mail and am leaving town for a month. I submitted my deposit via phone and also sent in my transcripts. I've tried contacting Linda multiple times, but I'm curious if there is more I need to do to secure my spot? Feeling super anxious about it.
Where did you send in your transcripts?? Were they sent electronically? Or physical address (Winchester)? I asked Linda over 2 months ago about sending them and was met with:

"You do not need to have transcripts send to SU as we will accept the official ones you submitted to OTCAS. You have completed all prerequisites for the program."

Unless you are still completing prerequisites? Sorry, I'm being paranoid!

My acceptance letter arrived over a month late and paid over the phone much earlier. I would print a receipt of your deposit and attach it to the form (that comes with your letter) that you're supposed to return once that comes through the mail.

My acceptance letter arrived over a month late and paid over the phone much earlier. I would print a receipt of your deposit and attach it to the form (that comes with your letter) that you're supposed to return once that comes through the mail.

Ah thanks!! I will do that for sure.
I sent my transcripts to the Winchester physical address. It said to do so in the initial acceptance email so I'm not sure if it was still required but I did it anyways before I left! I'm also feeling very paranoid about it and hate the gaps in communication!

Yeah this whole communication gap is very frustrating! I got an email today explaining some financial aid stuff so I'm hoping that's a good sign?

Yeah this whole communication gap is very frustrating! I got an email today explaining some financial aid stuff so I'm hoping that's a good sign?
I also got that so I hope is good to go? Did you have to send anything back to SU in addition to a deposit?

I got an acceptance email from them today too!
Hey! congrats on getting in! I am looking to apply to SU this coming fall for OT as well and was wondering if you'd mind sending me your stats?

Yes! Accepted to the NOVA campus as well. Are you planning on accepting?
Hey! congrats on getting in! I am looking to apply to SU this coming fall for OT as well and was wondering if you'd mind sending me your stats?

Yep, got one too! So happy to get anything right now lol