Shift work in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rina33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering specializing in emergency medicine, but am concerned how shift work and a rotating schedule will affect my life once I am older and have a family. I will soon be applying for residency and plan to have my first baby likely during residency or right afterwards. For those of you with kids already, how do you think shift work goes with family life? Does the flexibility and no call outweigh the irregular hours and rotating schedule? Though I know I would always have nights, weekends, and holidays, is there a chance to work fewer nights and/or a more regular schedule as one gets older? Thanks for any insight you have!

Members don't see this ad.

rina33 said:
I am strongly considering specializing in emergency medicine, but am concerned how shift work and a rotating schedule will affect my life once I am older and have a family. I will soon be applying for residency and plan to have my first baby likely during residency or right afterwards. For those of you with kids already, how do you think shift work goes with family life? Does the flexibility and no call outweigh the irregular hours and rotating schedule? Though I know I would always have nights, weekends, and holidays, is there a chance to work fewer nights and/or a more regular schedule as one gets older? Thanks for any insight you have!

No kids here, from what I understand the longer you are in a particular EM group, the more benefits you get concerning shift times. I think someone posted before the older you get in a group, generally the less nights you have to do. But, I think for the time period you want your kids, this will not be that OLD haha. I guess thats all I have, I'll let someone with more experience and KIDS let you in on more info.

Thanks for that. True, true- I don't plan to be old when I have kids! I guess there are two separate questions here-- how is shift work with kids? and how is shift work when one gets older (>50ish)? And another question might be, how is EM residency for having your first kid?!? Since a lot of you are out there in the field or know about these topics, I appreciate your opinions!

Members don't see this ad :)
rina33 said:
and how is shift work when one gets older (>50ish)?

Check with your local country club on that... ;)

This is very group dependent. Two groups I am considering offer a night pay differential for those who want to cover night shifts. As a result of the night worker's contribution, I will work 2-3 night shifts PER YEAR, maximum with group A and the other I will work up to 7 days. Times are changing...

One thing to sonsider is that other shifts may interfer w/ being w/ your kids. Our attendings do 8's. Some say the 7a-3p shift doesn't allow them to be there to help get the kids ready for school. The 3p-11p interfers w/ after school activities. For this reason, a few of our docs have taken to nights. They say that the 11p-7a shift allows them to be home by the time the kids are getting ready for school. Then they sleep while the kids are at school, waking to be w/ them when they get back. They have the evening w/ them, and then when the kids go to bed, they go to work. Everyone of our night docs tells me they do it for the kid-friendly schedule.

Just something to think about. With the pay-differential for nights, most of them don't have to work as many total shifts, either.

turtle said:
One thing to sonsider is that other shifts may interfer w/ being w/ your kids. Our attendings do 8's. Some say the 7a-3p shift doesn't allow them to be there to help get the kids ready for school. The 3p-11p interfers w/ after school activities. For this reason, a few of our docs have taken to nights. They say that the 11p-7a shift allows them to be home by the time the kids are getting ready for school. Then they sleep while the kids are at school, waking to be w/ them when they get back. They have the evening w/ them, and then when the kids go to bed, they go to work. Everyone of our night docs tells me they do it for the kid-friendly schedule.

Just something to think about. With the pay-differential for nights, most of them don't have to work as many total shifts, either.

I actually don't mind night shifts either ( I say that now, but once I start working a lot of them might have different viewpoint ), and would probably try the same. I don't mind sleeping from 8-2 or 3 every day.

JackBauERfan said:
I actually don't mind night shifts either ( I say that now, but once I start working a lot of them might have different viewpoint ), and would probably try the same. I don't mind sleeping from 8-2 or 3 every day.

Well, from what I can tell this is all very group-dependent.
Another question: do most places do block scheduling, such that in a given week you only have days, or swings or nights, or is it the norm that in a given week one has a combination of days, swings and nights--ie, all 3 possible shifts? If so, how do you guys adjust in terms of your circadian rhythm? Does one have a say in deciding scheduling?

Thanks! :)