Shingrix anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kansasgal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have it? We got a couple single doses in this week just wondering what other people are seeing. The amount of calls asking if it is in stock is getting old....every day is the same. "No, we don't have it. No we don't know when we are going to get it. No we don't have a waiting list"

All day every day it seems!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have it? We got a couple single doses in this week just wondering what other people are seeing. The amount of calls asking if it is in stock is getting old....every day is the same. "No, we don't have it. No we don't know when we are going to get it. No we don't have a waiting list"

All day every day it seems!
Why not have a waiting list?

Reactions: 1 user
PIC said no list...I wanted to but at this point it would be over 100 people and he felt it would be a waste of time to call all the people back

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope it stays on back order.

Reactions: 4 users
I wish this shortage was over. We could be helping so many people suffering from this terrible disease. I feel so unfulfilled as a pharmacist when I can't offer the best medicine to my patients.

Reactions: 3 users
I wish this shortage was over. We could be helping so many people suffering from this terrible disease. I feel so unfulfilled as a pharmacist when I can't offer the best medicine to my patients.

You’ve seen shingles in real life, right? It’s extremely painful, especially when it’s on your face/neck area... sorry to burst your ignorant antivax bubble. This new vaccine is much more efficacious and will help people, again, contrary to your uneducated beliefs.

Reactions: 3 users
Most of the stores around me have zero but there are two outliers that went crazy stocking up and have 100+ doses in stock. It would make sense for someone to drive around to distribute the shots but no one has enough tech hours to do that.

A friend of mine at the 3 letter said her district was instructed a couple months back to have each store purchase at least 100 doses. I'm curious if that was a general company strategy and contributed to the shortage.

Should we recommend the zostavax ? If out of stock on shingrix ?

Also heard you can not give shingrix with fluad because they are both adjuvanted. This will be relevant with flu season. Last I read full shingrix production will be January 2019.

Also heard you can not give shingrix with fluad because they are both adjuvanted. This will be relevant with flu season. Last I read full shingrix production will be January 2019.
I wouldn't recommend Zostavax when it's not nearly as effective. In fact if asked it would be a "heck no, wait". So far people have been fine waiting since they know it's better than Zostavax. I think the PIC mentioned doing just high dose flu shot instead of fluad because everything he has seen Fluad hasn't been proven to really be worth the extra discomfort... But doesn't TDAP have an adjuvant? I think it's fine to give TDAP and Shingrix. I could be wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather be in a position to "have" to make a waiting list for those interested in Shingrix. We nag everyone yet we just finished a single 10-count box (many of these were coming from non-WM pharmacies that do not have it) and as is common in this area some customers don't even want to pay the $3.70 (with Extra Help).

The chain I used to work for was so pathetically desperate to make money they tell their pharmacists to recommend Zostavax if Shingrix is on backorder. Then when Shingrix comes in tell them there's now a better alternative. According to them there is no study saying it's harmful to give both. But who would perform that study anyhow? The company's that are getting rich off of them?

I'd rather be in a position to "have" to make a waiting list for those interested in Shingrix. We nag everyone yet we just finished a single 10-count box (many of these were coming from non-WM pharmacies that do not have it) and as is common in this area some customers don't even want to pay the $3.70 (with Extra Help).
What? Send those vials our way! This shortage is a killer and I guess something was on the news recently about the shortage...patients came in ranting about it today

I wonder what is more effective - the zostavax or just 1 of the 2 shingrix shots? A lot of people have not been returning for the 2nd shot for shingrix.

The chain I used to work for was so pathetically desperate to make money they tell their pharmacists to recommend Zostavax if Shingrix is on backorder. Then when Shingrix comes in tell them there's now a better alternative. According to them there is no study saying it's harmful to give both. But who would perform that study anyhow? The company's that are getting rich off of them?

Wow, you changed jobs that recently?

Well, if someone was really high risk for shingles (ie they have had repeated bouts for example), then some protection is better than on protection. Unless it really is going to be in, in a week, then it would make sense to wait. There is no logical reason why it would be harmful to give both, indeed revaccination is being recommended for people who previously got Zostavax (and given that you, our resident anti-vaxxer isn't even aware of any fake evidence showing that it would be harmful, that to me, is proof, that it's definitely *not* harmful to give both.

Well, if someone was really high risk for shingles (ie they have had repeated bouts for example), then some protection is better than on protection. Unless it really is going to be in, in a week, then it would make sense to wait. There is no logical reason why it would be harmful to give both, indeed revaccination is being recommended for people who previously got Zostavax (and given that you, our resident anti-vaxxer isn't even aware of any fake evidence showing that it would be harmful, that to me, is proof, that it's definitely *not* harmful to give both.

I guess if no clinical trial has been performed then it must be ok. Sort of like yearly flu shots that don't work for a lifetime.
I like how you say "no logical reason" like you know this to be a fact. Of course revaccination is being recommended. The crooked CDC has been paid to say that.

They really REALLY underestimated the demand for this vaccine. I work night shift and I get 2-3 calls a night about it.

This must be when they run the really scary infomercials. I think that they should have a follow up commercial with Terry Bradshaw for Shingrix where he contracted shingles after getting Zostavax which we all now realize was much less effective.

This must be when they run the really scary infomercials. I think that they should have a follow up commercial with Terry Bradshaw for Shingrix where he contracted shingles after getting Zostavax which we all now realize was much less effective.

So do you think shingrix doesn't work?

I don't get what I'm suppose to tell my patients for their 2nd dose...."Sorry I don't have it, don't know when I will and don't know if it will be within the 6 month timeframe....and I also don't know what you are suppose to do if you do miss the 6 month mark"

Who releases a brand new vaccine with great clinical trials and does not make enough of it? What is the purpose of that?

So do you think shingrix doesn't work?

If the clinical trials are to be believed then this vaccine is effective. Remember that the reason that the rate of shingles has increased is because of the chicken pox vaccine. It is a problem that we have created. Secondly, I don't believe that the majority of patients receiving it actually need it. I believe that the majority of recipients have a strong enough immune system to fight it. One day we will have a test to determine this. In an age of personalized medicine it is surprising that we still have mass vaccination programs. We have no way of determining who will be harmed or not helped by the vaccine. Other first world countries don't have aggressive vaccination programs we do and they don't have higher rates of disease.

If the clinical trials are to be believed then this vaccine is effective. Remember that the reason that the rate of shingles has increased is because of the chicken pox vaccine. It is a problem that we have created. Secondly, I don't believe that the majority of patients receiving it actually need it. I believe that the majority of recipients have a strong enough immune system to fight it. One day we will have a test to determine this. In an age of personalized medicine it is surprising that we still have mass vaccination programs. We have no way of determining who will be harmed or not helped by the vaccine. Other first world countries don't have aggressive vaccination programs we do and they don't have higher rates of disease.

I just wanted a yes or no. Do you think it works?

Username checks out

So the chicken pox vaccine is so effective at preventing people from contracting chicken pox that it is increasing the rate of shingles (which by the way when will the first person to get a chicken pox vaccine even turn 60? But whatever) but you think the shingles vaccine is unnecessary and even causes more harm than good.

Man it must be interesting to live in your head. How can vaccines be both unnecessarily/harmful but at the same time be that effective?

Remember that the reason that the rate of shingles has increased is because of the chicken pox vaccine.
Please elaborate. I don't think there's much overlap between varivax recipients and shingles patients. Am I mistaken? Are their interactions with one another causing this?

Children in our population with Chicken Pox were micro-dosing adults thus suppressing shingles. When the CDC mandated the chicken pox vaccine (an unnecessary vaccine) it removed the suppressive factor from the population. Check the charts.

Children in our population with Chicken Pox were micro-dosing adults thus suppressing shingles. When the CDC mandated the chicken pox vaccine (an unnecessary vaccine) it removed the suppressive factor from the population. Check the charts.

Let me try to understand your logic.

So you think by not coming into contact with children with chickenpox, those who already have the virus won't get an immunity boost which causes them to get shingles?

Instead, you want children to continue to get chickenpox and thus shingles later on in life?

Wow just wow.

There are already studies showing the increase of shingles began before the chickenpox shot came out and did not accelerate afterward.

Also the incidence of chickenpox has dropped by about 75%. Even if for some reason your theory is true, shingles rates will be going way down when those vaccinated today are the only ones still alive.

Kids today say "wow just wow." There are studies that show that shingles cases started to increase in 2001 and continued thereafter. Google it.
Many countries opted out of the mandatory chicken pox vaccine because they knew what the result would be. It's called "exogenous boosting". You can google that also.
Chickenpox is an unnecessary vaccine. There were only 50-100 deaths per year in the US prior to it being mandated. You can start with the "if it saves one child argument now".
How about take up a real problem like childhood obesity.

Kids today say "wow just wow." There are studies that show that shingles cases started to increase in 2001 and continued thereafter. Google it.
Many countries opted out of the mandatory chicken pox vaccine because they knew what the result would be. It's called "exogenous boosting". You can google that also.
Chickenpox is an unnecessary vaccine. There were only 50-100 deaths per year in the US prior to it being mandated. You can start with the "if it saves one child argument now".

So keep letting kids get chickenpox?

Also once again there wasn't an acceleration in shingles after it came out...... Google it

This is true, but certainly not a reason to not vaccinate against varicella. The natural boosters that older adults used to get with natural varicella cases in their grandchildren and children did boost immunity. However, this could be remedied through a new vaccine schedule if this is deemed to be necessary. The biggest benefit of Zostavax was not in stopping reactivation but to reduce risk of post-herpetic neuralgia. Eventually those of us that had vaccine immunity to varicella hopefully will get less zoster. Time will tell. I was 11 or 12 when the varicella vaccine came out. So I'll let you know in another few decades if I get zoster. At this point in the literature there's only case reports of zoster after varicella vaccination for children. There are some poorly designed studies (hard to study control groups with high percent of children who are being vaccinated) regarding those that are now adults and had the vaccine as children.

Shingles | Surveillance, Trends, Deaths | Herpes Zoster | CDC

Look at this chart, I see no exponential acceleration in shingles. It's been slowly going up before and after the chickenpox shot came out.

I just can't believe you would rather kids continue to get chickenpox. How about we stop the cycle, not continue it.

Is that a joke?

You posted the "educated Facebook parent that does their own research" mantra:
"Check the _______"

It was so the nose that i thought you'd made a self-aware joke

I gave two yesterday

I don't get what I'm suppose to tell my patients for their 2nd dose...."Sorry I don't have it, don't know when I will and don't know if it will be within the 6 month timeframe....and I also don't know what you are suppose to do if you do miss the 6 month mark"

Who releases a brand new vaccine with great clinical trials and does not make enough of it? What is the purpose of that?

I can't find the actual CDC link but I'm pretty sure you just administer it as soon as possible even outside of the 6 month widow there's nothing special done...we stopped doing first doses and just waiting for second dose people to be done because we didn't want this to happen. But seriously who thinks "let's release a really effective vaccine, drop the age limit, and only produce bare minimum and see how it goes..."get it together Glasko!

Sorry to double post Found that link
Frequently Asked Questions About Shingrix

Q: What should I do if a patient waits longer than 6 months to get the second dose?
A: You should give the second dose as soon as possible. However, you do not need to restart the vaccine series.

What bugs me the most about this whole thing is the fact that they made a whole bunch for the first wave of people - said they have to get another in 2-6 months - then don’t have enough for the next wave. Now what for these folks? Do they start over?

Edit - I just saw the above post. It still bugs me though lol

What bugs me the most about this whole thing is the fact that they made a whole bunch for the first wave of people - said they have to get another in 2-6 months - then don’t have enough for the next wave. Now what for these folks? Do they start over?

Edit - I just saw the above post. It still bugs me though lol
I agree! Last update we got from Amerisource is maybe end of august....even then it will be allocated

With all of this CVS sent us a list of all the people we should call to remind them to get their second shot...um would you like me to inject them with saline and charge $200? (don't answer that Larry)

Lol I can’t help but post this from my mom, at least someone is happy.
IMG_1024.PNG

Last edited: