Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys,

I am a long time lurker, but I really needed to ask this question so I made an account. I recently interviewed at nova, and I thought it went pretty well. I just checked AADSAS portal and it went from "Invited for interview" to "Application Denied". Im really sad, because I really loved the school. Also, I didn't think I would hear back (whether it be acceptance or rejection) until December. I havent received an email/mail from them yet regarding a rejection. Could the aadsas portal status be a mistake (trying to be optimistic)???

Please let me know what you all think... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

swindoll

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
USA
Hey guys,

I am a long time lurker, but I really needed to ask this question so I made an account. I recently interviewed at nova, and I thought it went pretty well. I just checked AADSAS portal and it went from "Invited for interview" to "Application Denied". Im really sad, because I really loved the school. Also, I didn't think I would hear back (whether it be acceptance or rejection) until December. I havent received an email/mail from them yet regarding a rejection. Could the aadsas portal status be a mistake (trying to be optimistic)???

what are your stats if you don't mind?

Reactions: namasteinbed

Frychicken

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2014
Status
Dentist
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, this process is a two-way affair. It's like meeting a beautiful girl at the club and then getting invited back to her place to spend the night. Then a few days later you text her and wait in anticipation for her reply, but sadly, she tells you that she is not interested :(... why Jenny?? Why?? Anyways, I digress...

Cheer up, OP, the cycle is still young and you may find better luck with another school!

Jan 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, this process is a two-way affair. It's like meeting a beautiful girl at the club and then getting invited back to her place to spend the night. Then a few days later you text her and wait in anticipation for her reply, but sadly, she tells you that she is not interested :(... why Jenny?? Why?? Anyways, I digress...

Cheer up, OP, the cycle is still young and you may find better luck with another school!
Hahah sorry to hear, personal anecdote?

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Sorry to hear that, OP. Chin up girly! There can be other opportunities. When one door closes, another opens. I've heard instances where people have felt like they interviewed horribly, but later got an acceptance to their surprise. The application process can surely be unpredictable.

Reactions: dent.girl147

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student

At least you got her number. The furthest I got was "No thanks! I am not interested" before even saying anything.

F

fogorvostan

I was rejected as well from there and also shocked. My letter in the mail was kind of the icing on my bad day cake. I'm giving myself the evening to wallow in self pity and then move on tomorrow.

Jan 24, 2012
Hey guys,

The vast majority of applicants for any given school are rejected, with approximately 2% gaining admission. That is the reason why it is so important to apply broadly and early. Cheer up; you only need a single acceptance to become a dentist!

Sep 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
The vast majority of applicants for any given school are rejected, with approximately 2% gaining admission. That is the reason why it is so important to apply broadly and early. Cheer up; you only need a single acceptance to become a dentist!
Yup, most applications are rejected. Don't worry about it - that's why you apply to more than one school

OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental

This actually made me chuckle a bit! thank you!!

Reactions: hannah_hoac
OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Sorry to hear that, OP. Chin up girly! There can be other opportunities. When one door closes, another opens. I've heard instances where people have felt like they interviewed horribly, but later got an acceptance to their surprise. The application process can surely be unpredictable.
Really appreciating the support!!

OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I was rejected as well from there and also shocked. My letter in the mail was kind of the icing on my bad day cake. I'm giving myself the evening to wallow in self pity and then move on tomorrow.
Im sorry to hear that :( I did that all yesterday.. Im expecting a letter soon too lol...Good luck!!

OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
The reassurance is nice, i appreciate it!

Reactions: Frank22
F

fogorvostan

Im sorry to hear that :( I did that all yesterday.. Im expecting a letter soon too lol...Good luck!!
I saw the letter and instantly knew what it was. My mother ripped it out of my hands to open it and read it. I could tell from her face what it said. I was having a day from hell (I'm a science teacher in an alternative high school) and just broke down right then and there. As horrible as it sounds, seeing that other people on SDN are in a similar situation helped because I know that I'm not the only one who got rejected.

In your situation, I'd take your interview as a practice for your next interview (whether you have one lined up or are waiting for an invite like I am)! I'm sure you'll feel more prepared.

We'll make it through until the end :)

OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I saw the letter and instantly knew what it was. My mother ripped it out of my hands to open it and read it. I could tell from her face what it said. I was having a day from hell (I'm a science teacher in an alternative high school) and just broke down right then and there. As horrible as it sounds, seeing that other people on SDN are in a similar situation helped because I know that I'm not the only one who got rejected.

In your situation, I'd take your interview as a practice for your next interview (whether you have one lined up or are waiting for an invite like I am)! I'm sure you'll feel more prepared.

We'll make it through until the end :)
Wow, that must have been really tough. Im glad you are okay now. I am sure you will get other invites!!!! Thanks for sharing this with me..I think its important that we remember that rejections are part of this roller coaster too :barf:

BUT we will definately make it through the end :)

Feb 9, 2012
Greenville, SC
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't take it personally. Getting into dental school is tough, mostly because stats that are good and perhaps even ones that are excellent don't guarantee admissions, and this can be especially frustrating after putting in so much work to get those stats. The reason has to do with the interview. Interviews are the subjective side of admissions, and don't make computational sense (hard for us science/math geeks to let settle in). It may not be a "no" to you as much as it was just a "yes" to another person. Also, remember interviewers ALL have vastly different and unique things they look for based on experiences at their specific school that you cannot predict or prepare for. This is why it is so important to apply broadly and even sometimes multiple times. Focusing on one school rejection is unhealthy because it falsely may lead you to believe you aren't qualified or capable to handle dental school, when in fact the interview invitation indicated that the school thought you could. Each school is looking for different personal qualities, and you just need to "shop" around until you find the right fit for you. It's kind of like dating. You may have a lot of good qualities, but maybe that one person doesn't appreciate them. That doesn't mean someone else won't. Good luck! Stay encouraged!

Last edited:
OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't take it personally. Getting into dental school is tough, mostly because stats that are good and perhaps even ones that are excellent don't guaruntee admissions, and this can be especially frustrating after putting in so much work to get those stats. The reason has to do with the interview. Interviews are the subjective side of admissions, and don't make computational sense (hard for us science/math geeks to let settle in). It may not be a "no" to you as much as it was just a "yes" to another person. Also, remember interviewers ALL have vastly different and unique things they look for based on experiences at their specific school that you cannot predict or prepare for. This is why it is so important to apply broadly and even soemtimes multiple times. Focusing on one school rejection is unhealthy because it falsely may lead you to believe you aren't qualified or capable to handle dental school, when in fact the interview invitation indicated that the school thought you could. Each school is looking for different personal qualities, and you just need to "shop" around until you find the right fit for you. It's kind of like dating. You may have a lot of good qualities, but maybe that one person doesn't appreciate them. That doesn't mean someone else won't. Good luck! Stay encouraged!
I agree with everything you have said, and it is definately unhealthy to focus on a rejection. Thank you for the support and morale boost, it was much needed :)

Feb 9, 2012
Greenville, SC
Status
Pre-Dental
You're welcome dent.girl147. It is an honest reflection of what I've experienced in my own journey. Perhaps not just toward dental school, but in life overall. In fact, dealing with adversity in a positive and constructive manner is what professional programs look for in applicants. No one's life is a path of roses, and it's taken time in my life to mature to the point where I genuinely appreciate that, because I know that in the future I will face challanges that don't make sense and I will be prepared to handle them. I knew a dentist who had a seemingly seamless success story all the way up to his mid 40's only to be succcessfully sued by one bad patient which ended up about bankrupting his practice. I dont' think I am immune to this sort of thing (although I hope I am!). Understanding that life will always present challenges and disaapointments but learning how to overcome them and better yourself because of them is the most important thing.

Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I agree with all the a positive comments here about cheering up and moving on... The process is brutal and not all of us are made of diamonds and gold to be liked by everyone. We just need to keep walking forward and proud of our hard work till today. Don't let one admissions committee bring you down. There's plenty of other good schools out there. So, having said that, cheer!!! You just saved yourself $400000!!!! Lol!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:A better and cheaper school will be in our path... You'll see... Stay positive! :hardy:

Reactions: ph159 and OpSmile

Rambunctious

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2011
Status
Dentist
Hey guys,

Honestly it does suck to get rejected, but you're going to have to learn to build thick skin. Not just as a predent, but in dental school as well. Rejection and failure will always happen and you can't let it affect you every time it happens.

hannah_hoac

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys,

Wow that rejection was a little too soon but now you know what it's like and going to nail the next one(s)! Keep your head forward!

OP
D
Sep 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Guys I have come with an update.

SO I never got the official rejection in the mail/email; and come december my decision changed from "application rejected" to "offer made"

it definitely was an error. WOOHOO!

(sorry for the late update, i dont use sdn much)

Feb 19, 2014
Minnesota
Status
Dental Student

SO I never got the official rejection in the mail/email; and come december my decision changed from "application rejected" to "offer made"

That's awesome congratulations!

sumin5924

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental

:banana:

BeaverLover

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2014
Status
Dental Student

Looking back, Idk why I said it wasnt an error if it changed from an invite to decline :bang: