corneainterviewseason

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does anybody here wear shoes when using the microscope foot pedal during cataract surgery? If so, what kind? I have always taken off my shoes (ones that easily slip off) in the past and just gone the sock route, but would be interested in a good pair of operating shoes that I wouldn't have to slip off. Ideally, it would be something really thin soled and light that would still give me good control and feel of the foot pedal.

JMK2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
i don't wear shoes.
i had one attending who wore those shoes people use for beach, water sport.
another attending wore regular sneakers.

trail doc

I am a Navy of One
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I've tried five fingers, but the sole doesn't give you good purchase on the xy joystick. I've though that rock climbing shoes may be worth a try, but haven't invested in trying it out. For me, a pair of leather clogs that you can step in and out work well, and you can also wear them in clinic dress.

pianist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Status
I've tried five fingers, but the sole doesn't give you good purchase on the xy joystick. I've though that rock climbing shoes may be worth a try, but haven't invested in trying it out. For me, a pair of leather clogs that you can step in and out work well, and you can also wear them in clinic dress.

Water shoes are great. You can buy a cheap pair for $10 at any walmart or sporting goods store.