SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Shoes!

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by hank123, Mar 24, 2007.

1. hank123

hank123 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Should I buy sneakers or those clog thingies?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. hank123

hank123 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Should I buy sneakers or those clog thingies for residency?

4. hank123

hank123 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    I'm doing Surgery.

5. Ceez

Ceez Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2002
    flip flops. you're going to be on your feet alot so best to be as comfortable as possible.

6. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick! 7+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Had a Cooch
    Hank, what the heck does this have to do with the Electronic Residency Application Service or the National Residency Matching Program?!?

By the way, I noticed you posted the same question in the General Residency forum. Here's a little tip. Basically the same people read both of those forums. As a matter of fact, this forum is indeed a child of the General Residency forum.

And double posting is generally frowned upon, then one of the threads is closed by a Mod.

Welcome to SDN!!! :D

7. justwondering

justwondering 5+ Year Member

Aug 29, 2006
    im not a resident, but.....

if u wear sneakers, u will definitely be comfortable in the OR, but u need to also have another pair of shoes for clinic, etc.

if you wear clogs, u may be less comfortable but u can probably wear them to clinic too (at least girls can get away with it).

im not sure if one is safer than the other in the OR: ie like if u dropped a scalpel on ur shoe. or if ure more likely to trip if ure wearing clogs.

8. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio. Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I wore Birkenstock Super Birki (rubber/plastic) clogs in the hospital as a resident. Very comfortable and easy to clean. That was several years ago. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a pair of Crocs. They're a lot cheaper. Lots of people wore Calzuros, too...but I thought they were a little too feminine looking (personal preference).

9. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector 7+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2002
    Corona, CA
    I think you should buy some air jordans. preferrably some air jordan XI playoffs.

10. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What's the deal with clogs anyway? I tried some crocs not that long ago, and they're just not all that comfortable.

11. Pose

Pose Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Birki's take time to break in. After a week or so, they are molded to your foot, and it's like walking on nothing. My feet feel the same walking as when at rest. They're somewhere around $90-120, but made my bad back nonexistent during 12's, and my feet feel pretty much normal. Yay for ugly Birkenstocks!

Check out the Professional/Super (rubberish), and the Boston (leather).

12. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Think about how you will clean your shoes - crocs (rubber) are easy to clean. It sucks when you get blood on your shoe laces. This is key when you are on trauma, ER, some vascular, and those abdominal washouts.

13. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS 10+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Those M-Fers squeek. I had a pair in med school, and they drove me nuts. They were a used gift from my brother, and I realized shortly after taking them why he was so eager to get rid of them.

I am still experimenting with different shoes. I had a pair of dansko professionals for about 1.5 years, and they're good for standing in the OR, but they suck to walk in. My most recent purchase was the Keen Ashland clogs. I would prefer a little stronger arch support, but they're comfy, I can walk fast in them without falling.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6863285/c/714.html

14. Venus21pam

Venus21pam Freakin' peachy 5+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2005
    MA
    I am all for clogs.
    Where I work right now I'm always (and I mean ALWAYS) on my feet. Get to sit down for lunch only.
    I tried wearing sneakers, slip-ons and recently decided on clogs.
    I was looking at crocs but they seemed very plasticky and didn't have enough support. I went with a brand called Quark.
    I bought a pair of Quark Liberty and absolutely love them!
    They are super light - 3.6oz a pair, and very comfortable. Easy to clean of course as they're made of rubber/plastic but yet don't have that cheap look to them. Price wise not bad- in the 30-40 range (depending on where you buy).

I used to have a lot of heal pain before (not to mention back pain). Ever since I started wearing these it's like night and day.
    These are definitely keepers when I start my internship in July!

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_ss/p0_4530,3930,3330,3030,3630/br_Quark/b_3-0.82907-94.81065-1242.97805/p_5/st_143367/sbstl_333342

15. Stimulate

Stimulate 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    I would go with clogs too. I have danskos which are very easy to stand in all day, and you can slip them off every now and then in the OR (if the floor is "clean" to stretch your toes). They take a bit of getting used to as far as walking in them but once you are used to them it is not an issue. They have a lot of arch support which felt weird at first but now I really like them. Whatever brand you purchase, make sure they are not "open" in back because OSHA requires that there be a heel on your shoes. The heel on the danksos are decorative only, it doesn't actually touch your heel. Also be sure that there are no holes in the clogs like some of the Crocs models have. I handle needles all the time and I have definitely dropped them on my clogs before. My danksos have held up great for the past 2 years.

Another plug for clogs is that they are easy to slip on when you jump out of bed to respond to codes.

16. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Get whatever you are most comfortable in.

I wore almost exclusively New Balance sneakers, which fit my high arches really well and were quite comfortable. During 4th year I wore a pair of Merrell's that my ex bought for me - they were comfortable, but not like "walking on clouds" that the salesman swore they were, and I thought they weren't as cute as the sneakers. So when they wore out, and I was paying for the next pair of shoes, I bought the sneakers again. We couldn't wear scrubs to clinic, so the choice of shoes didn't factor into that (besides, I wouldn't wear OR shoes to clinic anyway...ick).

As for the common statement that clogs are best because you can jump into them and get to codes faster - really does the 5 seconds it takes to put on sneakers (especially if they have velcro or you don't have to lace/unlace them) really make a difference? In most codes the truth is: the patient is either dead or alive when they come in and what you do doesn't change the inevitable much.

There are no rules about what to wear - so get what you like best and are most comfortable.

17. sunlioness

sunlioness Fierce. Proud. Strong Physician 10+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I was a fan of danskos, myself. :)

18. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2004
    Arizona
    I wore sneakers in med school and got some danskos for residency and I couldnt be happier. My feet never hurt, my back neither and im on my feet all day. The only complaint I have is that they are a little feminine but im thinking my patients are staring at my feet too much. Most comfortable shoes ever.

Oh and BTW I see people wearing them at the mall etc.. dont wear them there.. they arent that stylish..

19. Tigger14

Tigger14 Ready to move 7+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    You will need to experiment because everyone's feet are different. I pasted this quote as an example... I love walking in my Dansko's (busy call nights) but am unable to wear them for standing long periods. On the other hand, my Birks are great for standing, but terrible for walking. Find what works for you! Oh, and I love the crocs for both standing and walking.

20. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Louisville
  21. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS 10+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2005

Take it easy on him. From what I've seen so far, Hank's got about 2-3 brain cells, and they're arguing.......

Unfortunately, I guess that was enough to match into my beloved specialty.:(

22. hank123

hank123 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Then what does that say about you? ha ha ha

23. hank123

hank123 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Thanks guys.

24. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist 10+ Year Member

Merrells. End of story. Great support, awsome ventilation.

25. anonymousEM

anonymousEM Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 25, 2002
    For the ladies, Dansko has some other collections besides the professional that I find quite comfy...almost the same sole but slightly more stylish uppers to the shoes (though still chunky). Good for wearing with dress pants and walking to public transportation in the city...I wear them with scrubs for the ED though.
    Oh, and look at ebay after you find your size somewhere you've tried the style. I bought 2 pair for 60 bucks...new but unusual styles last year! What a deal.

26. dynx

you know what annoys me? people that laugh at their own jokes. And even worse than that is people that type out fake laughter after their own jokes. Here's a little hint hank: If it were funny we wouldn't need you to type out a "laugh" to indicate the humor. File that one away for future use would ya?

27. hank123

hank123 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Such hate from a future doctor. Hope I don't work with you in the future. I'll pray for you.

28. dynx

What hate? I'm trying to help you. You know you could show a little appreciation. A "thank you" wouldn't kill you, but I guess thats just how you were raised. Your future patients aren't going to like your lack of manners.

29. razorback58

razorback58 Resident 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I love them. They will last forever and clean up well. The black professional are great with scrubs or dress pants. I even interviewed for residency in them.

30. exgatr

exgatr Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2003
    The most underrated work shoe: Justin or Lucchese cowboy boots. They have steel shanks in the sole which are much better for your back. Without boots, I would have never survived my surgery rotations.

31. TxMed

TxMed SpottieOttieDopalicious 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2006
    agreed. although, i currently wear ariat boots. probably more common to see this in texas.

-tm

32. Trepp

Trepp Living the dream 2+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Anyone have any suggestions for dress shoes? I would love to have a pair of black dress shoes that feel like running shoes. It seems like most men's dress shoes are made for guys that sit at a desk all day, and after 10+ hours standing/walking my feet are killing me. :thumbdown:

33. luckystar

luckystar pooped 7+ Year Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Illinois
    I just bought my first pair of Tsubo sneakers a few weeks ago and love them! I have worn Danskos and Merrills, but wanted something more stylish. They have men's an women's styles.

34. strangeglove

strangeglove 7+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Eccos are lightweight and very comfortable.

35. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2005
  36. selenium

selenium New Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Get Klogs:

comfy
    easy on and off
    easy cleaning
    look professional in scrubs or pants
    different colors check out www.klogs.com
    can change insole every 1-2 yrs instead of buying new shoe
    Good price

37. subtle1epiphany

subtle1epiphany Junior Faculty 10+ Year Member

I keep reading these threads about shoes, but wonder if the Dansko and other shoes that are recommended are women's shoes. They look kinda feminine from the pictures that I've seen online.
    What are the guys wearing, since I need to get a new pair of casual shoes soon and would like to knock out two bird with one stone.
    Any advice? TIA

38. strangeglove

strangeglove 7+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I'll say it again: Eccos. They are lightweight and comfortable and indistinguishable from regular dress shoes. They are ideal for long days on the wards or in the clinics. The only drawback is that you probably don't want to wear them in the OR, since you want to keep them looking nice. They are not feminine at all.

Also, a note on clogs and Merrills: these shoes are certainly comfortable, but they are not really that respectible. A lot of people wear them in the hospital, but many of your patients, especially the older ones, view them as casual shoes (i.e. it is debatable whether they actually fall under the category of professional dress). Do you see anyone in any other profession wearing these things with their suits and ties?

39. FISKUS

FISKUS Gimme a sammich 2+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006
    How about a nice cha-cha pump or a strappy sandel?

40. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    I agree...I don't believe they look professional or appropriate with non-OR wear. They tend to be particularly unattractive with suit/tie or more formal dress.

Besides, someone should swab those things and see what people are tramping in and out of patient's rooms and clinics with those shoes. Buy a pair of comfortable shoes for the OR and LEAVE them there, find another pair to wear on the wards when you are in scrubs and buy real people/civilian shoes for clinic/dress-up days. I have yet to be convinced by any of the links in this thread that any of these shoes are professional looking or particularly cute and feminine (despite the claims).

41. subtle1epiphany

subtle1epiphany Junior Faculty 10+ Year Member

Does the pump have to be for the cha-cha? If not I'm set...ha!:p
    Hmmm, I've heard of Eccos, cool. Thanks for the help.
    Merrells are great so far, I've owned two slip-on mocs, but they mess up my socks at the achilles tendon (maybe they don't fit well). They're definitely otherwise comfortable, so I wouldn't be opposed getting a better fitting pair again.
    Any other advice is appreciated, thanks.

42. idiot07

idiot07 10+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I recommend these guys:
    http://www.dansko.com/Product_Detail.aspx?stylename=Oliver&VID=1304&ID1=8004&ID2=5378&showAll=true&sugstyle=true

They're shoes made by Dansko. They are fairly stylish (the catalog photo doesn't do them justice), make my feet feel like absolute magic no matter how long I'm on them, and they don't have the really tall soles of the clogs, so they're easy to walk in. I bought a pair of black ones a year and a half ago, and was so impressed, I bought a pair of brown ones 2 weeks later. They have worn extremely well since.

43. IFNgamma

IFNgamma Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2006
    What stores sell these shoes? I would like to try them on and not just buy them online. Most shoe stores i've gone to don't have clogs or these types of shoes I'm looking for. Anyone know where to go? I'm in the LA area right now.

44. burntcrispy

burntcrispy Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Go with the Danskos. I've had mine since the beginning of 3rd year med school and they are still going strong in the last bit of my internship. I plan on wearing them in the OR for the next 3 years of my anesthesia residency. I wouldn't wear them to clinic or anything like that but for the OR and overnight on call they can't be beat.

45. IFNgamma

IFNgamma Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2006