Shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackpager

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have favorite shoes that work for rounds and hours in the OR? I like Rockports generally but looking for some other options.

And - at your hospital would you wear dress shoes in the morning and then sneakers in the OR, or just stick with one pair all day?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have favorite shoes that work for rounds and hours in the OR? I like Rockports generally but looking for some other options.

And - at your hospital would you wear dress shoes in the morning and then sneakers in the OR, or just stick with one pair all day?

I really like the Croc slip-ons in brown or black. Really comfortable and look pretty decent with dress clothes. They are ok for long periods of standing.

On my surgery and ENT rotations, I would wear the crocs for both clinic and OR (with shoe covers in the OR). If I knew that there was going to be a long surgery that day (free flap etc.), then I would wear my dress shoes and bring along the clogs to change while I go to the OR.

Another question...is it kosher to wear Dansko clogs with dress clothes in clinic? I would definitely like to hear the opinion of residents and attendings. I know females can definitely pull this off since the clogs seem to work well with female professional dress but I'm a little unsure about guys.

I wear Danskos in the OR. I wear dress shoes in the clinic. My danskos aren't fit to be seen anywhere but the OR. Too much muck on them. Don't wear crocs to clinic, that's stuff you wear to the beach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sanitas if I know I'm going to be in the OR all day long, like a flap case or something.

Dress shoes in clinic (have 3 pairs of Cole Haans at this point, fit like slippers once you break them in)

If it's going to be a hectic day with a lot of back and forth and 1-2 trips to the OR and clinic, then wrinkle free shirt + slacks and I generally wear my Dansko Sawyers. They're a leather closed back Dansko "shoe" (i.e. they hug the back of your foot and dont "slide" like the clogs) that works well in the OR and are serviceable in slacks. I think they're discontinued now unfortunately.

Dansko clogs anytime I am in scrubs. Cole Haans or Johnson&Murphys any time I am dressed up or in clinic. I don't think the danskos look nice enough to be seen in clinic (even aside from the fact that they are dirty as hell now).

I have flat feet and all through medical school and half of intern year I had a lot of foot pain by the end of the day and routinely noticed that my feet were bothering me throughout the day. Now I never notice my feet and have virtually no foot pain at the end of the day.

Danskos are the greatest thing ever in the OR. I would wear TEDs and Danskos for the free flaps or really anything over 8 hours, just the Danskos for anything else. I don't wear danskos with slacks.

Depends on where you practice on what you wear to clinic. One of my best friends is in rural Ohio and he wears Gap khakis and his danskos or other slip-ons in clinic usually with a polo or other more business casual shirt--he even will wear jeans on fridays. I have to wear a button up with nice slacks and high-end shoes for my area. I will get people commenting on it if I'm not dressed well. In fact, if I go all out and where cuff links or a sport coat I will get lots of compliments compared to my normal wool slacks, dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, and cole-haans. However, I practice in an area where the avg household income is over $210k so there is much more wealth where I'm at then where my friend is at. He makes more money than me, btw.

thanks for the tips!
will definitely check these out

Ecco (slip-ons) and Clarks make some nice dress/cas shoes for long days.

Ecco (slip-ons) and Clarks make some nice dress/cas shoes for long days.

I have ecco's for black dress shoes and merrell's for brown dress shoes. Good stuff for the feet. Plus I like slipping them on and off while I type notes or whatever.

Danskos are the greatest thing ever in the OR. I would wear TEDs and Danskos for the free flaps or really anything over 8 hours, just the Danskos for anything else. I don't wear danskos with slacks.

Depends on where you practice on what you wear to clinic. One of my best friends is in rural Ohio and he wears Gap khakis and his danskos or other slip-ons in clinic usually with a polo or other more business casual shirt--he even will wear jeans on fridays. I have to wear a button up with nice slacks and high-end shoes for my area. I will get people commenting on it if I'm not dressed well. In fact, if I go all out and where cuff links or a sport coat I will get lots of compliments compared to my normal wool slacks, dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, and cole-haans. However, I practice in an area where the avg household income is over $210k so there is much more wealth where I'm at then where my friend is at. He makes more money than me, btw.

And his cost of living is probably lower :p Sounds nice. Maybe I'll move to Ohio...