-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Shoes
Started by wonderdog
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Are you male or female? 42 is definitely too big for someone who wears a women's 8.5-9. Danskos do tend to fit differently and should feel a little bit loose, but I don't think your foot should actually slide around, at least mine doesn't.
I am a guy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where is the love for Crocs? I've been wearing them in the ER for over a year and they never fail. Side note: are danskos the best way to go for people with very high arches? I just don't know if I can get over their look, they look like women's clogs.
I've rolled my ankle many times with crocs. It was not a super-happy-fun-time.
A question for all those who wear Dansko shoes. I purchased my first pair online (none available in store around me) and their fit is a little different than what I am used to. Are they meant to be a little loose? That seems to be the general consensus when I read other forum threads elsewhere, so just wanted to confirm. I usually wear 8.5-9 and tried a size 42 and I can easily wiggle around my thumb in the back of my heel if I force my foot all the way forward. They do not slip off of my feet (unless I take long strides and dorsiflex as much as possible). So I was just concerned about these shoes stretching and then just falling off of my feet...
The shoe I bought: Dansko Wayne (figure I can slide by and use these w/ scrubs and dress pants)
Nevertheless, I ordered a size smaller and am waiting for them to arrive so I can compare.
They should be a little loose, so that they still fit when your feet swell by the end of the day. 42 may be one size too big...I wear a 10-10.5 and in Danskos I am a 43. They are handmade, so not every size 42 is made equal.
I have never had a problem with mine stretching out at all.
Where is the love for Crocs? I've been wearing them in the ER for over a year and they never fail. Side note: are danskos the best way to go for people with very high arches? I just don't know if I can get over their look, they look like women's clogs.
Wait, you are apparently concerned with appearance, yet you wear crocs? Does not compute.
Last edited:
Side note: are danskos the best way to go for people with very high arches?
They do have very strong arch support. That is why they are so comfortable when you wear them for an extended period of time.
Wait, you are apparently concerned with appearance, yet you wear crocs? Does not compute.
very good point, but I like the way crocs look. And I'm already 6'5, i dont need the extra 2 inches that dansko heels provide. But if dansko is the best for high arches I might have to suck it up.
A question for all those who wear Dansko shoes. I purchased my first pair online (none available in store around me) and their fit is a little different than what I am used to. Are they meant to be a little loose? That seems to be the general consensus when I read other forum threads elsewhere, so just wanted to confirm. I usually wear 8.5-9 and tried a size 42 and I can easily wiggle around my thumb in the back of my heel if I force my foot all the way forward. They do not slip off of my feet (unless I take long strides and dorsiflex as much as possible). So I was just concerned about these shoes stretching and then just falling off of my feet...
The shoe I bought: Dansko Wayne (figure I can slide by and use these w/ scrubs and dress pants)
Nevertheless, I ordered a size smaller and am waiting for them to arrive so I can compare.
I don't personally wear Danskos but my wife has been trying to convince me to get a pair (and I need to because my feet smell like diabetic foot rot after a day in my Birkis but oooo so comfy). The one thing she tells me is that I absolutely HAVE to by them in the store because a 42 isn't necessarily a 42, they are handmade so each one will be slightly different. I have been with her on several occasions when she looked at danksos, its (almost) embarrassing watching her have the salesperson bring out pair after pair until she finds the right ones.
Survivor DO
Not really.
It shows that you fail to recognize that all jobs have a "uniform", an expected code of dress. In no white collar job are sneakers considered professional and in medicine they are only tolerated when wearing scrubs.
We didn't make the rules and you can choose to abide by them or not, but don't pretend they don't exist and try to blame "the other guy" for your choice.
TBH if someone did comment on them I would most likely try to search for a comfortable shoe that isn't overly sneaker-like in appearance. But it's never been an issue. No one's ever said I am unprofessional, which makes me believe that most people are just too busy to pay attention to footwear.
TBH if someone did comment on them I would most likely try to search for a comfortable shoe that isn't overly sneaker-like in appearance. But it's never been an issue. No one's ever said I am unprofessional, which makes me believe that most people are just too busy to pay attention to footwear.
Or just too busy to verbalize it.
Just chiming in to recommend Red Wing Shoes.
I don't think I ever noticed them being uncomfortable during surgery or ICU months. They're also very sturdy (slip resistant, chemical resistant, steel toes - some of their shoes are built like tanks) which is possibly overkill but I never worry about getting bleed or vomited on.
I guess they don't look AS nice with nice dress clothes, but that's the sacrifice I'm making until I can afford more than two pairs of work shoes.
I don't think I ever noticed them being uncomfortable during surgery or ICU months. They're also very sturdy (slip resistant, chemical resistant, steel toes - some of their shoes are built like tanks) which is possibly overkill but I never worry about getting bleed or vomited on.
I guess they don't look AS nice with nice dress clothes, but that's the sacrifice I'm making until I can afford more than two pairs of work shoes.
Just chiming in to recommend Red Wing Shoes.
I don't think I ever noticed them being uncomfortable during surgery or ICU months. They're also very sturdy (slip resistant, chemical resistant, steel toes - some of their shoes are built like tanks) which is possibly overkill but I never worry about getting bleed or vomited on.
I guess they don't look AS nice with nice dress clothes, but that's the sacrifice I'm making until I can afford more than two pairs of work shoes.
I also like Doc Martens, the "refined" line. They're very comfy, and they can pass as dress shoes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good god don't get Danskos!
Just get a real custom orthotic insole and wear them in running shoes of your choice.
They'll set you back 2-300 and last for years.
Just get a real custom orthotic insole and wear them in running shoes of your choice.
They'll set you back 2-300 and last for years.
Good god don't get Danskos!
Just get a real custom orthotic insole and wear them in running shoes of your choice.
They'll set you back 2-300 and last for years.
This is the correct answer.
Seriously, everyone do yourself a favor and get a real custom orthotic. I've had a pair for >10 years and it completely revolutionizes your footwear. None of this "I have to wear ugly-as-f*ck Merrells or Danskos because no other shoes are comfortable" garbage.
i find these a good balance, generous heel, light and flexible enough to run a marathon (same cant be said about danskos) but not flimsy like running shoes that seem so ever popular around the er. No shoelaces are a must for any hospital shoe, imo.
![]()
You CANNOT be serious.
where can you get a custom orthotic made?
i got mine at a podiatrist. he made plaster casts of my feet and sent them away. a few weeks later i went back and picked them up!
Something I discovered during my shadowing experience was just how important comfortable shoes are. I'm wondering what your favorite shoes/brands for all day comfort are?
Oooooh. A thread about shoes. Must..respond. 😀
I might get yelled at for this, but I spend pretty much all day on my feet six days a week, and the only shoes that I've found that 1)look professional 2)dont hurt my feet/back/ankles at all- and i've broken both of my ankles in the last ten years and neither healed properly- are Prada.
Especially the ones that have soccer cleat type soles-they're almost corrugated looking and have ridiculously awesome support.*
*I dont have orthotics or anything so idk how those work with these shoes.
i got mine at a podiatrist. he made plaster casts of my feet and sent them away. a few weeks later i went back and picked them up!
nice, i remember going to a podiatrist and it being ~$500 for orthotics. maybe i went to the wrong guy
nice, i remember going to a podiatrist and it being ~$500 for orthotics. maybe i went to the wrong guy
I think mine were ~$400. It depends on the type that you get.
$500 is on the high end but not unheard of. it depends on what type of foot issues you have, the type of orthosis, and what material was used to make it.nice, i remember going to a podiatrist and it being ~$500 for orthotics. maybe i went to the wrong guy
nice, i remember going to a podiatrist and it being ~$500 for orthotics. maybe i went to the wrong guy
mine were def around $300 - 400.... and they are only half orthotics made for achilles tendinitis. i could see a whole foot length one being around $500
You CANNOT be serious.
![]()
i am the outdoors kinda guy, any excuse to feel like i am hiking through the nature is good 😀
other good choices:
$500 is on the high end but not unheard of. it depends on what type of foot issues you have, the type of orthosis, and what material was used to make it.
how long do they last?
how long do they last?
I got a pair in 2000 as a high school junior and I still use them today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the rigid part will last for a very long time, but i believe you're supposed to get the soft parts of it redone every 2 years or so (which should cost under $100, the average i've seen is around $50).how long do they last?
also if you're getting an orthosis for the first time, some offices will use the 3D digital scanner. but the attendings i've talked to say that they get better results with a plaster cast when compared to using the current technology available for the computerized models.
i'm just starting my clinical years though so take what i'm saying with a grain of salt lol.
