shoot down nursing in your PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

so I'm starting to write my personal statement right now, and I'm trying to play devil's advocate to myself as I read my writing. I have a lot of good reasons for wanting to be a doctor, but now that I look at it, those same reasons/goals apply to being a nurse as well. However, I don't want to be a nurse, but I really don't have a good explanation for that... do you think it's necessary to talk about why I want to be a doctor rather than a nurse? I really dont think I'd have a convincing reason haha...

Members don't see this ad.

Of course not.

You don't tell them why you don't want to be X, Y, and Z. You tell them why you want to be a doctor.

This is not something you need to address in your PS. Adcoms know you only have so much space to talk about your desires to go into medicine that they don't necessarily expect you to address every possible point that could come up in response to your PS in the PS. If they really want to play devil's advocate, they'll bring it up in your interview. I wouldn't waste space talking about it in your PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a general rule, it's best not to belittle any profession.
Only if asked in an interview would I elaborate on my choice to become a physician as opposed to another health care professional. But even then, simply indicate how your own characteristics fit those of what you see a good physician as having.
There are PLENTY of competent nurses and other professionals who are indispensable to the health care team. If you disrespect somebody, how do you think you are going to work with them in the future?
I think if you thought about it long enough, you might find a difference or two between docs and nurses ;)

Hey,

so I'm starting to write my personal statement right now, and I'm trying to play devil's advocate to myself as I read my writing. I have a lot of good reasons for wanting to be a doctor, but now that I look at it, those same reasons/goals apply to being a nurse as well. However, I don't want to be a nurse, but I really don't have a good explanation for that... do you think it's necessary to talk about why I want to be a doctor rather than a nurse? I really dont think I'd have a convincing reason haha...

By all means bust down on nurses and the nursing profession. If there's one thing doctors can all agree on is the need to put nurses in their places. Might as well start doing it now and you will reap huge rewards from being the only pre-med with the conviction to tell it like it really is.

You might say something like, "I considered nursing but I wanted to be more than a glorified flight attendant."

imo, if you aren't a nurse who has decided to become a doctor then there is absolutely no reason to write about it.

Talk about how you like all the reasoning and critical thinking that go into things like diagnosis, treatment plans, etc. You get more chances for this as a physician.

By all means bust down on nurses and the nursing profession. If there's one thing doctors can all agree on is the need to put nurses in their places. Might as well start doing it now and you will reap huge rewards from being the only pre-med with the conviction to tell it like it really is.

You might say something like, "I considered nursing but I wanted to be more than a glorified flight attendant."
Why don't you have your own reality tv show yet?

NO.

Any doctor that's not an assclown knows that nurses will save your ass as a doc. Don't even think the word "nurse" while you write your PS or interview.

The ONLY reason that this would come up is if you are currently working as a nurse and went back to school in order to apply to med school. And if that's the case, then you should cite lots of good clinical experiences in your PS and save the "why I don't want to be a nurse anymore" for your interview.

I'm just amused this is even a question.

I did talk about my distaste for Samoans though. The only thing they are good for are cookies.

ROFLMAO.

PandaBear... will you be my Jedi Master?

"Since I was young, I have dreamed of saving lives as a surgeon. Too many people die because of incompetent Family Medicine physicians who don't recognize that they only way to heal is with steel."

Pretty epic imo