Shooting at WPIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Live feed from one of the media outlets here: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Shooting_At_Western_Psychiatric_Institute

As far as I can tell, the most consistent story is that there was a total of 5 people shot (1 university police officer with a "graze" above the left knee). Two people are dead, one of which is one of the shooters. The policeman was safely taken across the street to Presbyterian. No word on the other people. It happened in the lobby, not in any of the patient units.

The second shooter has at least one hostage (woman) at UPMC Presbyterian right now. No idea where in Presby, but I would hope that the units were locked up as soon as the shooting was reported.

Members don't see this ad :)
How scary. :( I hope that the SDNers from Pitt are safe.

Wow. That's all I can say. I meet so many people there during my sub-I and interview, all we're terrific. What a terrible thing to have happened.

Now the update is that the second person is not a gunman but just a suspect. There was no hostage situation. That phone call was made by a patient at WPIC. It sounds like things are proceeding well and hopefully they find the second dude soon. I've heard up to 9 injured and 2 dead (1 of which is a shooter) or it's 9 shot total, so only 7 injured and the 2 dead. The local schools are no longer on lockdown and they are evacuating employees at the other buildings as possible.

Agreed. Prayers go out to all involved. Hope we get some more info today as to just why this happened and who was involved.

Perhaps metal detectors aren't such a bad idea, no?

Update from the local news source from the wee hours of the morning. Of the two dead, one was the shooter, the other was a male employee, no other details on him. Of the 7 other victims, 6 were employees (including two receptionist and a WPIC security guard) and 1 was a visitor. All 7 are expected to survive. The shooter has not been identified but the news claims that they do not believe he was ever a patient at WPIC. From the sounds of the write up, it appears it occurred in the lobby and not the DEC (psych ER).

Update from the local news source from the wee hours of the morning. Of the two dead, one was the shooter, the other was a male employee, no other details on him. Of the 7 other victims, 6 were employees (including two receptionist and a WPIC security guard) and 1 was a visitor. All 7 are expected to survive. The shooter has not been identified but the news claims that they do not believe he was ever a patient at WPIC. From the sounds of the write up, it appears it occurred in the lobby and not the DEC (psych ER).

I'm wondering who this shooter was. Upset patient? Disgruntled employee? Overworked resident?

Based on the news report the shooter is still unidentifable, per the police because he had no ID on him. That makes me think it was not an employee, or someone particularly familiar at least to the employees questioned, as they would likely have been able to identify such a person. Time will tell, but as I said the initial reports are that it was NOT someone who had ever been a patient, although I'm not sure how the newspapers were able to draw that conclusion without first IDing the shooter.

Also, the deceased employee has been identified. A 25year old who worked on the Geri unit.

the WPIC psych ER has metal detectors, but the lobby does not. its just like the lobby to any other medical building

Agreed. Prayers go out to all involved. Hope we get some more info today as to just why this happened and who was involved.

Perhaps metal detectors aren't such a bad idea, no?

Shooters name was released, a 30 year old male. No word on his connection to WPIC yet.

Also, the young man who died was a Milieu Therapist.

Anyone hear any new information on this? The news outlets have pretty much dried up, but I'm still curious as to if a motive has been established (was he a former pt,disgruntled about mental health, targeting a specific employee?).