short attention span?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012mdc

Enjoying the Dark Side
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Derm a good field for someone with a short attention span (relatively speaking)? In private practice do you see a large number of patients in a day with a high diversity of cases?

I have some interest in EM and Rads because of their quick pace and diversity of things one can see. In my experience with a field like Peds, I felt like I could become bored because it was either asthma, regular check-ups, or flu shots.

As a 2nd year with very limited clinical exposure to specialties that aren't Primary Care I may have some wrong ideas/misconceptions so please excuse any ignorance

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Is Derm a good field for someone with a short attention span (relatively speaking)? In private practice do you see a large number of patients in a day with a high diversity of cases?

In most practices you will see a high number of patients of day. The diversity part is relative. When you're a student, resident, or even starting out in practice everything seems very diverse, however, the longer you're in practice, the less diverse it seems, because even the less common problems are things that you've seen a lot.

However, the perceived reduction in diversity that you experience with more years under your belt is something that happens with every specialty. The nice thing about derm is that it has a lot more baseline diversity than most other specialties. So, basically your perception of what a derm practice is like is fairly accurate.

good to know. thanks