Short-term International Volunteer Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm interested in volunteering in Latin America for a short period of time (like 4-6 weeks thanks to full-time job/supporting myself obligations). I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with programs geared towards health/child education/community organization and if so, if they'd recommend their programs, how they found out about them, etcetera.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to India this past summer with Cross-Cultural Solutions (www.crossculturalsolutions.org), and I know they have programs in Latin America as well. I ended up having a REALLY positive experience with them, it is a bit pricey (cost doesn't include your plane ticket), but they provide housing, food, transportation, and I felt really safe. They also match up your interests and skills with the need and are very open to giving you the experience you're looking for. I hope this helps! pm me if you have more questions.

Child Family Health International (CFHI) is a great organization. I went to Ecuador through them last October. I spent four weeks there with the Urban/Rural Comparative Health Program. I sutured my first patient, witnessed my first (and many more) natural births, and many other hands-on things. Great organization. For Central/South America they have programs in Mexico, Ecuador, and Bolivia. www.cfhi.org

I also went to Trinidad (in the Caribbean) and Guyana (South America) through an organization called International Service Learning two summers ago. It was only 2 weeks....my week in Guyana was amazing, the organization in Trinidad, not so good. I did eye exams, community health presentations, health surveys, and more. They also have trips to Costa Rica, Belize, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama for the Americas. www.islonline.org

PM me with any questions...I could go on forever!

hasta!

Members don't see this ad :)
i highly highly recommend unite for sight. i went last year and am going again this year. last summer was the greatest experience of my life and i hope this summer tops it even more check them out at www.uniteforsight.org

unite for sight is really supportive and you get full hands on experience and work with doctors and observe surgeries. the most exciting part is when the eye patch is removed the day after surgery and the person can see for the first time in years. there is nothing more gratifying.

unite for sight also doesn't cost an arm and leg. you just fundraise for the cataract surgeries where you volunteer and you pay nothing out of pocket to unite for sight. you also know and see every day what an impact your fundraising does to change lives

When I was a pre-med I went to Guatemala on two different trips with Health Talents International. http://www.healthtalents.org/index.html

I worked with them for about year prior to each trip gathering medical supplies/medications from hospitals and physicians that would volunteer supplies/money. Then we delivered the supplies to physicians that HTI supports in Guatemala and Nicaragua. I accompanied a group of physicians and surgeons to the region to assist the supported physicians with treking up into the mountains to small isolated tribal villages and held clinic there until our supplies ran out. Very rewarding experience and pretty much cemented my decision to become a doctor.

kathyt009 said:
Child Family Health International (CFHI) is a great organization. I went to Ecuador through them last October. I spent four weeks there with the Urban/Rural Comparative Health Program. I sutured my first patient, witnessed my first (and many more) natural births, and many other hands-on things. Great organization. For Central/South America they have programs in Mexico, Ecuador, and Bolivia. www.cfhi.org

I second the recommendation for CFHI. I did two programs last summer in Ecuador: Urban/Rural Comparative Health, and Community Medicine. I especially recommend to the Community Medicine program because we hiked into the Amazon with a local doctor and stayed in an indigenous village. Awesome experience!!!
(KathyT--did you stay with Dra. Diaz or Mariana in Chone? They're both so nice!!!)