Short Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maroth91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I received a letter from Northeastern which included this part:
"Unfortunately, we cannot accept everyone but would like to have you consider joining us if an opening does occur. Therefore, we have placed your name on our short waitlist."

Does anybody know how short a "short waitlist" actually is? I haven't heard that term used before. Northeastern is my top choice and I'm hoping I still have a chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about this program, but the way this is worded my guess is that you are very close to getting in. I think they are letting you know that you are very likely to get accepted soon. They might tell you where you stand if you contact them You could let them know how much you desire to attend their school.

Waitlists can be great, I have been accepted to two schools off of waitlists so far!

If you want to know more about your position, politely email them back and ask. Some schools will tell you exactly what # you are, some will vaguely tell you (ex- you're in top 50%) and some wont tell you any details.

Also, some people have said that it's helpful to send a letter of continued interest, about a week or two after you have been waitlisted.

I know that Northeastern bases acceptances on a point system that emphasizes GPA and LOR's, so sounds like you have met the requirements but that already sent an invitation to their ~20 students. Due to the expense of the school I would not be surprised if a number of those twenty decline and you get in, I'll be rooting for you. Also, I will be applying for the next cycle and was wondering if you would mind sharing your stats? Anyway, thanks in advance and good look.