Shot at SGU KBTGSP Jan. 2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agh85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad. 6 years of clinical experience for non-profit mental health companies as mental health practitioner. Shadowed psychiatrist for 4 years. Strong LORs.

Applying for the Jan 2012 SGU KBTGSP class:

cGPA: 3.39
sGPA: 2.93
MCAT: 25M
post-bac classes GPA: 3.85

Should I apply to other schools? Will it take longer to get response to my app because I am considered pretty early in the process?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the St. George's "KBTGSP"?

Thanks.

What is the St. George's "KBTGSP"?

Thanks.

It's the Keith B. Taylor Global Scholars Program where you do your first year of basic sciences in the UK.

Members don't see this ad :)
your science gpa is low but your post-bac gpa is high. along with your mcat and overall gpa, i say your chance for getting into jan is strong. but as you already mentioned, right now the adcom most likely will consider only aug 2011 applicants. if anything adcom might hold your app for awhile. better off applying to aug 2011 cause you have a shot for that class too. for other schools if you plan on applying and entering the following year's class 2012 just like sgu, your app will be held for awhile. so better to apply next year's class 2011.

your science gpa is low but your post-bac gpa is high. along with your mcat and overall gpa, i say your chance for getting into jan is strong. but as you already mentioned, right now the adcom most likely will consider only aug 2011 applicants. if anything adcom might hold your app for awhile. better off applying to aug 2011 cause you have a shot for that class too. for other schools if you plan on applying and entering the following year's class 2012 just like sgu, your app will be held for awhile. so better to apply next year's class 2011.

Thanks for the advice, but I can't attend the August class because I will be getting married at that time. Hopefully they won't keep my app in process for too long!

Why do you want to do the first year in the UK?

Why do you want to do the first year in the UK?

My future-husband is a graphic designer for an national retail brand here in the US, but would have the opportunity to attend the Master's program in graphic design at Northumbria University's newly updated School for Design (which is where the KBTGSP facility is in Newcastle). It would mean that he would have a purpose while I am pursuing my studies and wouldn't be spending 18 months on Grenada with no employment/educational opportunities. And I love the possibility of learning about new cultures and medicine on a global level. I have had a pretty sheltered upbringing, in my opinion, and this would give us the opportunity to live in the UK, Grenada, and then return to the US.

Ok, was just curious. It's not one of the nicest parts of the UK by the way though. The North and South are pretty different, most people strongly prefer one or the other.

no prob agh85. i believe you should mention the reason why you're applying jan 2012 kbt gsp program in your application when you apply.

adcom might take notice of your situation esp. about your significant other having the possibility to study at northumbria university :) which then your application might be processed faster. in general don't get worried if you don't hear for awhile from adcom. like i said before your stats for jan class at UK are strong.

You might still have a shot at it. I just talked to the enrollment counselor for the West Coast today and he said the deadline for the January 2012 class is November 15. You could try and apply before the deadline and see what happens, but you might be cutting it kind of close. I imagine that the AdCom has pretty much firmed up their roster by now.