Shoud I ask This person for a reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartreader

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been working for about a year with a newly graduated athletic therapist in a sports medicine clinic. I've been seriously considering asking her for a reference letter since she knows me well and would vouch for my qualities/skills/experience/motivation etc. etc. HOWEVER, she is a relatively young athletic therapist, her credentials aren't as "prestegious" as some of my other referees. Some of my friends at school scoffed at the thought of me asking this person for a refernce for the above cited reasons. What do you guys think? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The more the better.

I should mention that in Canada, schools require only 3 references, no more and no less. So she would be one of three references (the other two is a professor and researcher)

Members don't see this ad :)
You wouldn't want all three of your letters to say the same thing. Your portfolio should show all of your strengths and different aspects that med schools are looking for in quality applicants.

If she is someone who fills in information that no one else can possibly write about...then I think you need her letter. Consider what each person will realstically say about you...then decide who you need to form the complete picture.

It seems to make sense: 1 for academics, 1 for research, 1 for extracurricular/volunteer/clinical experience.

Prestige...Credentials...heh...

Unless your LOR is coming from someone who discovered DNA or cured cancer, then your med school interviewers probably won't know them. As long as the LOR is from someone who knows you well and is positive, get it.

~AS1~

Speaking of letters, I have been considering updating my files for schools that I am waitlisted at or still have to interview at with additional LORs from profs from last semester. However, I am not sure if this is worth it. Do they want additional LORs if I can get them? Would they help?

Originally posted by smartreader
Hi, I've been working for about a year with a newly graduated athletic therapist in a sports medicine clinic. I've been seriously considering asking her for a reference letter since she knows me well and would vouch for my qualities/skills/experience/motivation etc. etc. HOWEVER, she is a relatively young athletic therapist, her credentials aren't as "prestegious" as some of my other referees. Some of my friends at school scoffed at the thought of me asking this person for a refernce for the above cited reasons. What do you guys think? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Go for it! I mean, if she knows you and can show you in a glowing light, then do it. I had a couple of teachers and a few mentors write mine and they didn't all have MD-PhDs or whatever ppl find "impressive." But they did write good things and that's what sticks out in the minds of reviewers. At an interview, my interviewer said "I shouldn't tell you this probably, but your LORs were absolutely glowing. You've definitely made an impression on those you have worked with." So, it's what they say that matters, not so much the acronyms after their name...

Hope that helps.

BonBon

Originally posted by ForensicPath
Speaking of letters, I have been considering updating my files for schools that I am waitlisted at or still have to interview at with additional LORs from profs from last semester. However, I am not sure if this is worth it. Do they want additional LORs if I can get them? Would they help?

Does someone have any advice for my question. Should I add more LORs? I don't know if it would help or just be more annoying paperwork that the adcom won't look at.

Originally posted by ForensicPath
Does someone have any advice for my question. Should I add more LORs? I don't know if it would help or just be more annoying paperwork that the adcom won't look at.

*sigh* This is a good question. I thought about augmenting my files at some schools with more LORs but I held back. Here's why: they already have 3-5 letters for you, and would sending in more really say much more about you than what they have? I suppose it could show that you are interested, but why don't you send in your last semester's grades? or maybe updates on your research? or other activities you have been participating in? That would probably show more about you than what someone else merely says...

Plus, certain schools (like USC) specifically ask you NOT to inundate them with more LORs than what they ask...

All my best,
BonBon