Should I accept Medical Assistant position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1071450

Hello! New to SDN :)

I am currently a college sophomore studying from home this sem and am interested in attending medical school, but not really sure what I'd like to ultimately do with my future. I'm also interested in genetic counseling and clinical neuropsychology, but want to be able to do what I love and be able to travel in some way.

I recently applied for a medical assistant position through a local urgent care to gain clinical experience (with no previous clinical experience or MA certificate), and after two very successful interviews, I was hired. I'm super grateful for the opportunity, especially since I know most of these positions are hard to come by with no experience!

I thought MAing would be a good way to see if I really like patient care and hopefully allow me to weigh my future career options (aka...is medicine/being a physician for me). The only problem is...covid. So I would be directly testing people for covid, and my parents are a bit concerned, naturally. My dad has celiac disease and a heart condition, and both parents are very cautious health-wise.

It's a part time position, so I'd only be at the clinic every other weekend for both days, but I am really torn as to whether or not I should accept this. It's an incredible opportunity considering I got the job w/o experience and it would allow me to really see medicine. I don't want to put my parents and sister in danger, but obviously covid contact is a part of the job.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the PPE situation (and even more importantly PPE training situation -- most exposures in healthcare environment happen during incorrect donning/doffing of PPE) like for this position? Are there protocols in place where people watch you don/doff? Is the clinic so understaffed such that you are mostly by yourself and nobody can tell you if you're inadvertently tugging at your mask/touching your face under your face shield? Seeing patients for possible COVID is by definition high exposure risk.

Reactions: 1 user
The have been pretty vague about the extent of PPE training, but have notified me that they do have "extensive PPE resources" and that I would be protected. I would have training this Monday, and have tried to think it through and have a final decision by tomorrow. I'm thinking that the main reason they need a MA is because of the increased volume of covid patients coming through the clinic, and without any experience I'm not so sure that this would be the best for me. It's really tough because it would be a great opportunity if I was more just taking vitals and the covid aspect was not involved, but obviously that's just the situation right now. This is a tough one! Hmmm

Members don't see this ad :)
The have been pretty vague about the extent of PPE training, but have notified me that they do have "extensive PPE resources" and that I would be protected. I would have training this Monday, and have tried to think it through and have a final decision by tomorrow. I'm thinking that the main reason they need a MA is because of the increased volume of covid patients coming through the clinic, and without any experience I'm not so sure that this would be the best for me. It's really tough because it would be a great opportunity if I was more just taking vitals and the covid aspect was not involved, but obviously that's just the situation right now. This is a tough one! Hmmm
Yeah, well, nothing in life is free. Do what's best for you and your family, but just realize that the only reason someone with no experience is being offered the opportunity is because of COVID.

Maybe a stupid question, but, why did you apply if actually being offered the job presents a tough decision for you???

Yeah, well, nothing in life is free. Do what's best for you and your family, but just realize that the only reason someone with no experience is being offered the opportunity is because of COVID.

Maybe a stupid question, but, why did you apply if actually being offered the job presents a tough decision for you???
I was eager to see if I could get clinical experience in some way during the pandemic, but thought it might be a possibility to work around doing covid testing if they did in fact need help just in the general clinic (not to mention covid testing was no where in the job description). It's pretty clear now that they are mainly just looking for people for that reason, and thought "hey, why not. She's a college student that is trainable and we need people now."

I guess there will always be other opportunities for clinical exposure if I decide that med school is for me, so I think I might just wait this one out. Especially with the virus now mutating and flu season starting :(

I was eager to see if I could get clinical experience in some way during the pandemic, but thought it might be a possibility to work around doing covid testing if they did in fact need help just in the general clinic (not to mention covid testing was no where in the job description). It's pretty clear now that they are mainly just looking for people for that reason, and thought "hey, why not. She's a college student that is trainable and we need people now."

I guess there will always be other opportunities for clinical exposure if I decide that med school is for me, so I think I might just wait this one out. Especially with the virus now mutating and flu season starting :(
BINGO!!! If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. You totally hit the nail on the head, and are making the right call. As soon as it is safe to do so, volunteer opportunities will open up again. Until then, I would never allow myself to feel pressured to do anything that made me uncomfortable for the sake of an application. I promise you, if and when the time comes, med schools will understand the lack of certain EC hours.

If you are living at home with high risk parents, I won't do it. You are sophomore only and you have lot of time to get clinical experience. All you need is 100-200 good hours which can be done in your junior year and summer after that (while applying).

Last edited:
If you are living at home with high risk parents, I won't do it. You are sophomore only and you have lot of time to get clinical experience. All you need is 100-200 good hours which can be done in your junior year and summer after that (while applying).
Thanks! Yep, sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down a bit for sure. Not to mention do something that I actually want to do rather than what I feel like I'm supposed to do!