Should I add more T20's to my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivinLike-Larry

Reaction score
I was just looking for some brutal honesty in whether or not I should bother adding more T20's or not. After receiving an interview from Pitt I began to worry I sold my self short with my school list. I am extremely grateful thus far but don't want to look back on my application with any regrets ya know? Just looking to see if anyone out there knows more than me about where individuals similar to I stand in the application process. I applied to 42 schools with 6 being t20s. Thank you guys for any input you give!

cGPA: 3.74 (medium upward trend)
sGPA: 3.7

MCAT: 506 (choked it) —> 516 (132/125/129/130)

State: CA resident

Ethnicity/Race: Hispanic/Mexican American, Low SES, first-generation

Undergraduate Institution: Community College (Associate's in Psychology) —> UC Santa Barbara (BS in Biopsychology)

Clinical Experience:
  1. Devereux: Hospice care for physically and mentally disabled (~1350 hours)
  2. ED scribe @ tier I hospital (~800 hours)
  3. Currently working full-time as an MA at general surgery clinic

Research: Wet Neuroscience Lab. I talk a lot about how I performed terminal surgeries and retinal dissections (~570 hours)

Shadowing: None

Non-clinical Volunteering:
  1. Trainer and volunteer who visited geriatric patients in residency homes and talked to them weekly. (~170 hours) (MM)
  2. Homeless shelter/soup kitchen. (~100 hours)
  3. Taught elementary school kids science through experiments. (~90 hours)

ECs:
  1. Worked at subway full-time during my first two years of community college and part-time during my first year at UCSB. Manager position towards the later half of my time working there. (~4800 hours)
  2. Social chair for pre-medical fraternity (1 year)
  3. Executive council: Treasurer for pre-medical fraternity (1 year) (MM)
  4. Executive council: Secretary of Organization for First-Generation Student Club (~2 years)
  5. Executive council: Co-President for First-Generation Student Club (~1 years)
  6. EMT Training/Certification
  7. TA for bio class
  8. Peer Mentor for 2nd year undergrads. Taught how to time manage, study, and care for their well-being.

Honors/rewards: none

LoRs

PI from research lab
Biochemistry professor (same guy as the bio TA / peer mentor activity)
Emergency Department MD
Writing health professions professor
Devereux program coordinator
Volunteer coordinator for the geriatric clients
Elementary school volunteer coordinator

Additional
App is centered around growing up with single mother and witnessing the effects that a lower SES has on those who compose it. Serving the underserved.

Mentioned in all secondaries how I have been teaching myself Spanish for a few months now.

Everyone who reviewed my app has told me it was very strongly written.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this your school list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm your school list already has some great programs. Personally, I'd be happy to go to many of the schools on that list (I actually did go to one of them!). If you want to add a few more, your dream schools, go ahead. Especially if you think you'd regret not trying. But remember that it's getter later in the cycle, that you have great options to begin with, that nothing is certain. It's ultimately up to you

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you should add Chicago, WashU, Hopkins, Einstein and Penn. Congrats on the Pitt interview.

Are you using the Mimentor program? If not sign up at least for the interview prep.

Edit: Definitely add Charles Drew as well.

Reactions: 1 user