Medical Should I apply MD/PhD without taking a gap year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at Caltech. Before Covid, I was planning to apply to mdphd this year and matriculate straight from college. However, all of my clinical volunteering and shadowing stopped due to the pandemic. I have a good GPA and MCAT (3.98, 522). Additionally, I have been doing research in one lab at my school since my freshman year (March 2019), and I did two summer fellowships there (last summer was only dry lab). I did get into the NYU SURP program, but that was canceled due to Covid. Right now, on top of my bioinformatics research at my school's lab, I am currently doing wet lab research at another lab near where I am living due to virtual classes.

Unfortunately, I do not have any posters or papers to show for my work as my PI is brand new and has not published any papers at my school yet. However, I can talk extensively about my research and had a good deal of autonomy with it.

While my clinical experience is lacking (around 25 hours of shadowing, 50 hours of volunteering), I was wondering what my chances are at a top 25 program. Thank you in advance for your help and input!
You are going to need to get the experience numbers up (both clinical and non). Your GPA/MCAT is awesome though.

Members don't see this ad.

MD/PhD programs understand that you will not have as much clinical experience as others. But agree that you might need a little more. The MAIN focus of these MSTP programs is to train physician scientist who want a career in RESEARCH, not in clinical medicine. Your research experiences are strong. I am wondering however how you have not been an author on any posters or papers since being in this lab since freshman year, even with a newer PI there's always at least something happening year round even if it is submitting abstracts to the university research conference or local/regioanl conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.