Should I apply now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to apply to med school next June ('06) but I'm wondering if I am jumping the gun and need to wait until '07? Bascially, like many here, I have some academic bumps in the past and some flakiness to overcome. If I apply 06 I will have spent three semesters taking pre-reqs (one at a time), volunteering and shadowing. (I'm also a stay-at-home mom full time). My science GPA will be up to 3.5. If I wait an extra year, I will have been taking classes/etc. for a year longer and my GPA will probably be a 3.6. Do you think three semsters is enough to show I am more responsible now? I'll be explaining in my personal statement that my maturity comes from my experience of almost losing my son when he was an infant/raising a special needs son. Thanks for your input... :luck:
 
Hey Mies...
I say give it a try and apply now. You won't be losing anything. And still take the additional course for good measure. If it won't hurt you, why not give it a try! 🙂
 
MiesVanDerMom said:
I would like to apply to med school next June ('06) but I'm wondering if I am jumping the gun and need to wait until '07? Bascially, like many here, I have some academic bumps in the past and some flakiness to overcome. If I apply 06 I will have spent three semesters taking pre-reqs (one at a time), volunteering and shadowing. (I'm also a stay-at-home mom full time). My science GPA will be up to 3.5. If I wait an extra year, I will have been taking classes/etc. for a year longer and my GPA will probably be a 3.6. Do you think three semsters is enough to show I am more responsible now? I'll be explaining in my personal statement that my maturity comes from my experience of almost losing my son when he was an infant/raising a special needs son. Thanks for your input... :luck:

science GPA 3.5 now or 3.6 next year....

Cumulative GPA?

MCAT?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jaylily said:
I say give it a try and apply now.
I agree. But at the same time, make preparations to reapply the following year as well, in case things don't work out the first time.

Roughly 1/3 of applicants each year are reapplicants. So don't fret, if you have to reapply.
 
Your GPA is in range. I don't think 3.5 vs 3.6 matters. The average MCAT for accepted med students is 30. I think that should be your highest priority. Do whatever it takes to get 30 or more. I was coming in low, so I studied for 2 months straight, starting at 10 hrs/day and then to 8 hrs/day (or was it 12 and 10?) Also, don't dwell on your personal life in your personal statement. The title is deceptive. Talk about your clinical experience.